weary of feeling cold and tired: cease and insist

I woke up at 2:30 a.m. which is not generally good for a guy's mental health. I made it through the day in fine shape, did what I needed to do, bought some groceries after work, made dinner and a Guinness cake for Peter, but now feel fragile. Fragile and near to tears. I need to go to bed, but at (damn, another edit) an hour that won't mean I wake up in the middle of the night again.

Regis had a dream the other night that people were being sent around to their destinations like Linux code. I don't even know what that means but he described it like they were being shoved into brass tubes and shuttled into space. When I was young, I would visit my grandma in Marshall. To wile away time while she was at work, I would go to the hardware store where they had a monkey in a cage (imagine) but the thing that interested me almost more than that was the wire that went from the till to the office on the second floor. When they needed change at the till, they put a twenty in the brass tube and sent it via wire, zinging up to the second floor. Meanwhile, the monkey flung his poop around the first floor. See, there was a connection.

Regis had a weird cell phone problem today. He got a call from the clinic switchboard in Mankato. He apparently was sending persistent text messages to their switchboard and they requested that he cease and insist. What the hell. He checked the Verizon account and sure enough, in the last week he had sent and received more than 4,000 texts to that number. No wonder they wanted him to cease and insist.

Edit: I probably didn't make clear that we know "cease and insist" is not what she should have said. Desist. Regis should have said, "I insist that your customer service agents are literate."

Well, as you can imagine, this required many hours on the cell phone with customer service. Some agents even suggested that he may have sent those 4,000 texts. They don't seem to get that we are 58 years old and to send that many texts would require way more finger dexterity than we have. Holy hell. The cyber world is a strange place.

I have encouraged Regis to write his dream into a science fiction story. He dreams about people he knew in kindergarten that he would never be able to recall in his waking hours.

Damn. Life is hard sometimes.

Comments

Jill said…
I always love hearing about Regis's dreams. Ever since Larry and I got back from our trip, we've been dreaming cruise dreams. One or the other of us wakes up in the middle of the night having had a dream about being on the Island Princess, and then the other one of us wakes up having had a similar dream. This has happened EVERY NIGHT since we got back. A person can only take so much of a good thing. Last night Larry said he felt trapped in the Twilight Zone. WE WANT OFF THE SHIP!

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff