cross posting

Sometimes I write a brief version of what appears on Facebook here later and in a fuller form. This is one of those times. I'm in transition to the hyper-fast electronic media. Thinking I won't make it all the way being the slow processor that I am.

I was going to exercise yesterday afternoon but when I went in the bedroom, there was this big patch of sunshine on the bed so I took a nap in it instead. I opened the drapes wide and moved my pillow so I was right in the sun.  
Last week, I ran three miles one day. I have piddled around with running a few minutes here and there and I decided I was going to do it, run three miles. On Tuesday, I went in, got on the treadmill and away I went. It nearly killed me but I made it to three miles. I guess that's what people mean when they say they sweat. I have spent most of my life avoiding that particular body function, preferring more sedentary activities like reading, so this was a new thing for me. 
I can't say I enjoyed doing it. I had to cover the console on the treadmill so I couldn't see the numbers. Before this, every one hundredths of a mile ticked by in slow motion. I thought at every tick, "I have to quit now". So if I couldn't see it, it helped a little.

I did feel a sense of accomplishment when it was over. I bragged to lots of people, sent an email to Rachel, and wrote about it on Facebook. Friday night at the bar, I talked about my sports injury for which I was soundly ridiculed by my friends. Oh well, I say.
I made manicotti tonight for dinner. I found a recipe somewhere (whoever remembers where that stuff appears) that called for rolled up no-boil lasagna noodles to avoid having to stuff (people really do this?) manicotti noodles. We think it's fine Italian fare and enjoyed it very much.
I see I didn't write much about the weekend but it was grand. It was the right amount of busy and lazy, social and anti-social, and had all the parts I love: a party, beer Friday, a nap, some cooking, some radio, some live music, and a lot of laughs. You would think it would make a guy ready to go back to work but not so much.
One of the teachers at school has a hamster in her classroom. She is out for a few days for a family emergency and we are left to deal with the rodent. Apparently he was circling the drain today. Not wanting to bother her, I asked another teacher if she was willing to "make the decisions". We (the royal we) moved the hamster to an office and called the vet. They euthanize hamsters for 20 bucks. I didn't ask about the cremation package, assuming he could be, uh, disposed of, in a less expensive fashion. I'm not sure how this all panned out as I had to go to a budget reduction meeting at the end of the day. I think there are some moral parallels here but I'm not clear on what they are.
So, that's all the news that's fit to print today. Sandy, if you are reading this....I have a message for you about subs. Don't let me forget to tell you tomorrow! 
And thank you God, for wine at the end of the day.

Comments

Jill said…
I've faced hamster euthanasia myself, Teresa. Not something you want to do more than once. Of course it is probably more humane than feeding a hamster nothing but Hershey bars and Coke, like I did for a science experiment at school when I was in 5th grade. I don't think PETA was around then, or I'd have been dragged face first across the gravel parking lot behind the school.
Jill said…
I've faced hamster euthanasia myself, Teresa. Not something you want to do more than once. Of course it is probably more humane than feeding a hamster nothing but Hershey bars and Coke, like I did for a science experiment at school when I was in 5th grade. I don't think PETA was around then, or I'd have been dragged face first across the gravel parking lot behind the school.
Jill said…
Oops. I double-dipped somehow.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff