Cheese and music

I came home and picked up the crap that had accumulated from the first two days of school. Who comes in here and messes things up while we're gone? I had dough in the refrigerator from the party so I made pizza. Regis has been intrigued by the mozzarella that I bought at the coop. It tastes so much better than that cardboard stuff that comes shredded in a plastic bag. Tom said it's easy to make so now Regis wants a new hobby. Uh oh.

I think I forgot to mention the basil gimlets we made for the party. If you have basil in your garden, these are definitely worth the trouble. I wouldn't make them all the time, but once a summer, they're delicious. Here's the recipe for the syrup:

4 cups packed fresh basil sprigs (top 4 inches; from a 1/2-pound bunch)
4 cups water
2 cups sugar
9 (4- by 1-inch) strips lemon zest

Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. Let cool covered for an hour. Refrigerate to cool completely. Strain and press leaves.

To make the drink, use 1 cup of syrup, 3/4 cup of vodka, and 3/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir in ice to chill and pour into an old fashioned glass.

Mom's leaving for Seattle on Friday with my cousin Deb to visit her sisters in Washington. I hate to travel (lame, I know) so I'm staying home but I hope they take pictures so I can post them here. Mom's 77 and her sisters are older so it ought to be a whooping good time. But there are folks like Steve Fossett who will climb into a hot air balloon and cross the ocean and then there are people like me who pack a bag and think about it for a week to go to New Ulm. What the hell. It's a good thing we aren't all travelers. Nobody would ever be at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff