some things I learned today

In the last couple days, I read Marathoning for Mortals. It came to me at just the right time. I was getting terrified, looking into the future and seeing myself all hobbled up and trying to run 13 miles. John Bingham makes it sound like something real people can do and he helped me realize that it's ok if I walk now and then. I feel better just knowing that I can walk if I want to walk. Rachel, God bless her, is a driven runner and I'm not sure she understands the needs of the less driven, former couch potato as myself.

I use a Nike + when I run or walk outside. This morning when I got back and ended the workout, Tiger Woods came on and said, "That was an amazing workout!" I bet they wish they could have a do-over on that one. Then when I plugged it into my computer, some dude came on and said, "Not everybody can run a hundred miles. You are officially a bad-ass." Really. A bad ass.

So, I had a five mile run on the agenda this morning. This is what I learned:

  • I can recover my breathing by slowing my pace. I was running between 9:30 and 10:30 and I figured out how to not croak while running about 13:00. Nice. If I go faster sometimes and slower sometimes and my average is about 13 minute miles, then I should be able to finish a half marathon in under three hours, not accounting for dragging my ass the last couple miles. At least I will make my goal in finishing on the same day it starts.
  • I can appreciate and be grateful for every slow step whether I am walking or running. It's a miracle that I started and it's not important that I am a speed demon. This was a beautiful morning and I was lucky to be out in it.
  • I can't go five miles walking or running without sustenance. Regis and Peter have made merciless fun of my belt with two water bottles. They said I will be the goofiest one in the race but I don't care. I think it will be better than tipping over in the gutter.
Bingham calls himself the Penguin and he has a line of very funny shirts. He has one that says this:
Front: If it weren't for me you'd have nobody to pass.
Back: If you can read this I'm not last.

A friend of mine is reading my blog from the first post to the last....through the archives. It's been a hoot to get her comments as she goes. This morning, we've been reading through some of Bert's antics toward the end of his life...like the time he peed on the Christmas tree skirt, the little bastard.

We're making carne asada fajitas for dinner tonight. Here is generally how it's made: To make this cook the Carne Asada on the BBQ grill. After you have the meat started, fry up some onions and peppers in a skillet on high heat. I added lime juice and garlic when it was almost done. Build out the fajita with the grilled meat, peppers and onions. I covered this with homemade salsa, Habanero Cheddar Cheese from Costco and homemade Guacamole, season to taste.


That's all the news for today. Have a sweet Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff