parking lot, etc.

I woke up early and watched this documentary: The Parking Lot Movie. I loved it. I'm going to copy the about section because if you don't read about it, you may not bother to watch it either. It really was a great video.
Often described as the documentary version of Clerks, The Parking Lot Movie follows a select group of parking lot attendants who work at The Corner Parking Lot in Charlottesville, Virginia. The eccentric brotherhood of attendants consist of grad students, overeducated philosophers, surly artists, middle-age slackers and more.
Located nearby the University of Virginia and tucked in behind a number of bars, the assortment of overeducated attendants who work at The Corner Parking Lot have to deal with throngs of drunken frat boys, vandals, and SUV-driving jerks who either take off without paying or fight them over sums as low as $0.40. Fortunately in this establishment the normally agreed upon rules of customer service don’t exist. Disrespect the staff and face the consequences.

In what becomes a discourse on American life, these overeducated parking attendants wax profoundly about car culture and capitalism, seek vengeance against entitled patrons and thieves, and make fun of drunken jerks.

If the intersection between the status quo and the quest for freedom is their ultimate challenge, could a slab of asphalt be an emotional way station for The American Dream?

Yesterday, we celebrated Peter's 25th birthday with a lunch at Pappageorge. Here are a few of the highlights. 


We grilled Peter gently about his new job and his plans for moving. Of course, on his list of necessities for apartment living are a television and an X-box. He'll come to wish he's put toilet paper on that list.


Elliot was way more interested in the ice cream sundae dessert than Peter was and I think, even though we passed it around the table twice, he ate most of it.





I found some checklists online for first apartment supplies. Pretty funny. Like a single guy really needs an ironing board or table linens. I'm going to have to check out his Hope Chest and see what gems I've stashed away for him over the last two years. I think there are some old bath towels and a half dozen beer glasses.

I made a stop at Sticks and Stones in Mankato since it's right across the street. I found a wonderful lime green chapeaux for only six dollars.

Gus went to the Paw again. We like to watch as they turn him out into the yard with the other dogs. He looks absolutely bliss-filled. He romps, he runs, he twists in the air. It makes you laugh out loud. When we picked him up they asked for his last name as they had two doodles named Gus and one doodle named Baxter.

I'd like to get outside to do some yard clean-up but it might not happen. Regis, my weather eye, tells me that it will be 80 degrees by the time we go to bed and 35 degrees when we wake up in the morning. I'm worried about what he tells me about these Voltran warnings. Voltran is not the right word but I can't remember what the right word is but the meaning is that we are on high alert for the biggest badass summer storms of all times. Yeah, I need to know that.

The right word is tor-con. Personally, I think Voltran is better and more indicative of the mass destruction scenario they are predicting.



There you go. If knowing your TOR-CON makes you feel better, go for it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff