Old Farts Play with Technology and Christmas at the Treatment Center

We get such a kick out of technology. Regis is more serious about it than I am, maybe because he understands it and I think it's like airplanes flying and thermoses that keep hot things hot and cold things cold. How do it know?
I was sitting in the living room the other night and I heard Bob's voice coming out of Regis' computer. Then there's a little picture that appears of Bob and Ella. It's a program called Skype and a wireless webcam. How strange. Ella can hear me when I talk but she can't figure out where I am so she points into the kitchen. I think it's weird and won't talk anymore to her...it will confuse her! But now I have it on my computer...no camera...and Regis and I tried talking to each other across the room and we laughed and laughed. What a hoot. Now he tells me about a Woot-off. My word. It would be so easy to fall behind and never catch up. I have email, a couple websites, a blog, and I know how to download music and transfer files and send digital pictures. I think I do pretty well for someone who remembers crank telephones and typewriters.
It's colder than hell here. It was zero this morning with a wind chill of minus fifteeen. I had a hard day at school which seems to fit. Kids in treatment centers are not generally happy over the holidays and they tend to make life miserable for their care takers. One of our students, a particularly troublesome one, is leaving soon under sad circumstances. I cried on my way home because even though this is a good thing in some ways...he is going to a place where he'll be safe... he's had such a tragic life.
Regis brought Kramer out to see me at school today. He went right in the back room and pooped on the floor. What a dog. Did you hear about the agnostic dyslexic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there was a dog. It's my favorite joke.
Teresa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff