every day should be saturday

My goal for the weekend was to clean our house. It didn't happen last night because we had a serendipitous meeting of friends and family (including Ella and Alex) at the watering hole. Reg and Amber came to visit later and then we went to bed. So much for that day.

I didn't have any grand plans to get started early so it was about 9:00 when I got started in the bedroom. I set the timer for 55 minutes and then I allowed my galley slave self a break for a cup of coffee and a piece of toast. It went like that through the next three rooms. By 3 o'clock, I was done in and tired of it so I told Regis to set up the lawn chairs under the birch tree.

Several of the neighbors wandered over and we celebrated the start of spring by sharing beers and wine in the warm sun. It was grand. Katherine toddled around and ate some dirt and drank a juice box. She seemed to enjoy her first outdoor happy hour.

I'm trying to get organized before my surgery on April 6th. Of course, there are things I will never get done and should probably just forget about. Cleaning the basement, for example. Ha! I'd like to get the garden cleaned up and might have to hire that done. Digging in the dirt and hauling vegetation might be beyond me for a while.

I have a bookshelf I meant to clean off before the ecology club fund raiser but I think I missed the deadline. That's exactly how I am. I went to Herberger's the other day and forgot about the donation thing where you can get 20% off. WTF. All I had to do was throw my old pajamas in a bag. They just do that to make a person like me flog herself for having a crappy memory. Shit.

I have all kinds of irrational fears about surgery since I haven't had any (surgery) since I was 4 years old. That was more than 50 years ago holy shit. They don't use ether anymore, do they? The nurse when I had my tonsils out was mean and I don't think they're like that anymore. Regis thinks I should take my computer so I can post a blog entry the night after I go under the knife. (What a weird expression...) We'll see how that goes. I'm a nervous patient. Should I tell them that? When I have an endoscopy, I tell EVERYONE in the outpatient area...I'm a nervous patient, don't let me choke, I'm worried about choking, I'm a nervous patient. I'm sure those health care professionals talk about me when they have drinks after work.

I swear the birds were having a major singles club gathering in the trees behind our house today. They were everywhere and they were loud. There's a huge fat robin in the apple tree now. I love spring.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We drove by with Miles this afternoon, hoping you'd be out. Instead I saw a rug hanging on the railing, which made me wonder if you were on a cleaning roll. I guess you were! The only thing annoying about this nice weather is that the sun and the warmth make everything look dusty and dirty in the house. I imagine I could do something about it like you did!
Anonymous said…
Why the cleaning binge? Are you afraid your Mom is going to bring her white gloves next weekend. I had the pastor and her husband over for supper tonight and about 20 minutes after 6:00 I called them and asked if they had forgotten. Yes, they had ( how could they forget when I made krub especially for Les ). They felt terrible because they had already had supper. Oh well. More for me!!

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff