Memorial Day Weekend

Saturday...The garage sale was a success. We made enough money to take the friends who helped out for dinner to Hermie's....our favorite bait shop and restaurant extraordinaire. Quite the social event. We went to the Redmen Club (St. Peter's very non-politically correct men's organization) for an after-dinner drink.

Sunday....I think I cleaned up the house a little. Must not have been memorable. Imagine kitchen-floor mopping being non-memorable. We watched Ella in the evening while Bob and Emily went to a movie. She's so darn sweet. Just as she was going to sleep on my lap, she rolled over, pointed at Regis and said, "Boppop". Regis just melts. Nothing like a baby to do that to you.

Monday...I got up early, cleaned the kitchen and had breakfast, then went out to dig up a daylily garden. I estimated it would take an hour. Three hours later, I was almost done. I dragged a huge wheel barrow, a wagon, and four boxes of daylilies to my neighbor. I decided I was too tired to plant anything so came in the house to clean up. I always look out the bathroom window when I take a shower. There was my neighbor to the south pulling the Engelman ivy off the ugly chain link fence. It's their fence but I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to look at that beautiful ivy instead of chain link. It was the first year it had berries on it. I marched out and told the guy he could just drop it over the fence and I would plant it somewhere else. I know now I won't but it made me sick to think of the three years I spent cultivating that plant to have someone rip it down.

We went to Lexington to the Hide-Away Resort for an early Memorial Day dinner with Betty and Tom. They have wonderful appetizers: fresh green beans and onions deep-fried in a light tempura batter. Much better than the usual frozen fare. When we got back to town, we went to Betty and Tom's and sat in their new screened in cabana. There was a nice breeze that helped keep the bugs out even though their dogs ran in and out every time someone walked by on the path.

We love Tom and Betty's new dog Gonzo. He's dumber than a box of hammers but he has such a cute face. He looks like Winston Churchill only not as smart. If you talk to him, he makes this funny face like he's trying to understand you. He runs out of the cabana through the door but when he tries to come back in, he slams into the screen. We laugh every time.

Our neighbor, Mike Callahan, who did the magic show at our St. Patty's party also does comedy. He ran over Friday night to tell us that he had just gotten a call that he'd gotten a spot at Goonie's in Rochester. He's done the MC gig there before but this is the second spot from the top and apparently pretty competetive. He was thrilled about this. We're making plans to take all the neighbors down for his show on October 2nd. Mike's also planning a magic show for adults in St. Peter the week before Halloween.

I keep nagging Regis to check the lottery tickets because I have a bad case of "I don't want to go to work tomorrow."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff