Sunday in the kitchen

I found a lot of projects in the kitchen today. I'm going to start with the last one first because the blogger is being uncooperative. These are candied orange peels. I decided to take the rest of the Christmas oranges up to Tom's for fresh screw drivers and didn't want to waste those nice peels. They have to be boiled twice to get rid of the bitterness, then boiled again in a simple sugar solution for 45 minutes.

After they've cooled and dried a little, you drag them through melted chocolate. It's messy and you have to lick your fingers a lot. I also got rid of a few orange peels because I got tired of the whole mess. They're delicious if you like the combined taste of orange and dark chocolate.

I made stromboli for dinner today. It's an Italian sandwich with pepperoni, hard salami, ham, and cheese. I used a calzone recipe for the dough.

Here it is assembled with the onion, green pepper, and garlic. I used provolone, mozzarella, and parmesan. Regis said the real Italians would put the gravy on the side. That means the red sauce.

Here's the finished product with the Mylanta that you usually need when you're done.

This is Scotch broth made with beef bones and onions. It simmered all afternoon and will be made into soup tomorrow with barley, mushrooms, and carrots.


These are croutons I made with a loaf of bread that was sort of a mistake yesterday. I meant to make the dough only but set the machine wrong and baked the bread in the machine. It made not so good bread but very good croutons.

So, that's it from the kitchen for today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff