Butt dragging

Sometimes I do google image searches for pictures for my blog. I worry about things like this. Some person did this art work and I use it to illustrate my dragging ass after a full day in the garden. I wonder if people copyright things like this. I always change the name of the image so it's harder to track me down and less likely I will wind up in jail for jacking someone's art. It's a great picture. Poor person dragging the tired ass down the sidewalk.

I went out early to use Round-Up on the weeds that had gotten beyond control. To my chagrin, I hadn't emptied the sprayer last fall so of course, something was amiss and nothing would come out. Regis and I decided to go to Men-R-Nerds to get a new contraption for defoliation, one of those fold-up tables, and a couple sections of little fence for my basil garden. Nothing like Menards on Sunday morning. The smell of sawdust and two-cycle engine oil hangs heavy in the air. It's almost an aphrodisiac.

Mission accomplished. I spent the rest of the day on my garden scooter with a pail for weeds and the gallon of Round-Up. What I couldn't pull easily got sprayed. I hope that's not a terrible evil environmentally. I got an early start in the garden (for me) but then the rain started and we had a couple busy weekends and all of a sudden holy crap it's a jungle out there. It looks much better now but I could hardly navigate by the time I was done.

It's like time goes at warp speed in the summer. I buy a couple pots of something at the garden center and all of a sudden two weeks have gone by and the little plants look like something from the desert. It's shameful. My garden looks nice from the street now, and less nice when you walk into it. I like things to overlap, sort of a Monet effect, so my plants are not separated by much space. Sometimes it's hard to identify what's what. I've gotten better about pulling out the things I don't want. Today a whole bunch of daisies went in the bag. A couple of cone flowers. A false sunflower. And forty miles of something with white foliage of which I can't recall the name...

I did a google search (google is a good substitute for a bad memory as well as being a source for good art) for "white foliage". I didn't find the name of the plant but I did find that there is an indie rock band called White Foliage. I shouldn't be surprised. Last night at Betty and Tom's we were laughing about the names of bands from the 60s and 70s. Names like the Dave Clark Five and Herman's Hermits. I always tease my kids that the bands of today should have good names like that instead of Accidental Goat Sodomy, Lawn Smell, and Pancakes for Penguin. Peter says that obviously the good names were taken decades ago leaving bands with only names like this. Yes, um hmmmm.

Re: the weekend lawn warrior in the previous post. It seems like someone in the neighborhood had a gas-powered implement going every second. Here are the ones I remember: several lawn mowers, a sidewalk edger, a power washer, a blower, and a weed whacker. Nobody was wearing the suit of armor and the helmet.

Regis stopped over to see Ella today while I was laboring in the garden. He said she wanted to call her mom but they explained that mama was at work. Then she wanted to call her nana so they called me and left a message. Then she said, "Well, I want to talk to somebody!" Ha!

Monday again tomorrow. Warp speed...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff