there's a varmint living under our steps

We've had trouble with moles over the years but I won't trap them so we've just learned to live with them. Once in a while they make the side yard feel like something from the movie Tremors but most of the time they don't bother me. They don't eat much.

Yesterday I saw mole tracks in the garden for the first time this year.

Linda's cats used to ravage the bunny nests and I hated it when it happened but it did control the rabbit population.

Tonight I looked out the window and saw three little bunnies about the size of a fist playing on the sidewalk. They don't bother me because they don't eat much.

There is a point here. Hang with me.

Regis took the trash out tonight and yelled at me to come and look at something. Under the front step, right in the corner, is a BIG HOLE going under the step. There are a few very large kernels of corn in the path down to the BIG HOLE. Regis asked if this was my handiwork. LOL. Yes, I've taken to making a hideout under the front step. He makes a motion like he's going to stick his hand down the hole. SCREAM. I picture the TREMORS WORM...or the little bunnies. He wants to flush the hole with water (There is an identical hole on the other side...like a back door.) but no....I don't want him to do that and the best reason I can come up with is that the soil might be unstable and the step will sink. There you go.

I don't think rabbits would burrow into dirt like that to make a home, do you? This hole is big enough to stick your hand into so it's bigger than a mole. More the size of a prairie dog. Uh oh.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Regis, you are not doing your manly duty. If your father-in-law were still alive he would have a trap set in one hole and he would be sitting in a chair with shotgun in hand facing the other hole. The trap would break the nasty little critter's neck and the shotgun may blow your step in a million pieces. Mr. Mole may have Mrs. Mole down in the dark and you know what happens then; there will be lots of Baby Moles to contend with.
Anonymous said…
I forgot to mention that maybe you have a woodchuck; they like to get under cement and are nasty little critters, too. Teresa, let Regis take care of these little animals. On second thought, maybe they are aliens who have chosen to live under your step. FMIL

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff