oh hell

I was going to write a post about what I'm thankful for (as I did last year...you can look it up) but I can't feel in my writing self if it should be serious or funny. I'll wait.

We watched the movie Once the other night. It takes place in Ireland and one character knocked on a door and asked if "herself" was home. Interesting syntax. If you know what's up with that, let me know in a comment.

We went for a walk this evening but I can't say it was pleasant. I don't like to drive in the dark and apparently don't like to walk in it either. I kept feeling like somebody was sneaking up on me but when I shined the flashlight behind me; nope, nobody there. I get distracted by the lights in houses, too, which makes it hard it walk gracefully.

I have a heel problem on one foot. Years ago it was diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. I had a shot of cortisone which hurt like plain hell but I walked out with no pain and it didn't return for years. When it came back this year, I went to the foot doctor who said I could either get five hundred dollar orthotic things which may or may not work...or she could whip up some free thing out of a little tape and a cotton pad. There should be a cure financially between free and five hundred dollars. Now I suppose I have to pay for an office visit to get another free one or figure out how to make it myself.

I should have thought of google before. Something that looks just like what the doctor made is on its way from amazon, no less. I have no idea why the stupid formatting slipped into italics. Bush league template, I guess.

I had more to say tonight but I'm not going to say it in italics. It's like whispering.


Comments

Anonymous said…
My mother used to use "herself" to refer to a woman or girl (me) who thought that she was queen bee or above everyone else. Maybe it is used in Ireland- my mom was Irish too.
Anonymous said…
I've heard the same use of "herself" as Joanne describes. I can hear the accent and the disdain!
Anonymous said…
Your Grandma used to call women
"herself" when she thought they might think themselves a little better than most people. Grandma was part Irish also.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff