out of my character

I came home from work today and found a package from my Cousin Deb. It contained a pair of exercise pants and two slinky little tops. She calls them camis but this is an article of clothing that is not in the closet or the vocabulary of a big person so they were new to me. To my amazement and astonishment, they fit. Not a fit that I would like to seen in public in, but a tight and sort of lumpy fit. I went right down to the treadmill and walked at a rapid pace for twenty minutes while listening to the Dropkick Murphys, a punk rock band from Boston. If you know me at all, you can pick out the out of character things with no trouble.

Miles, we're in the midst of inclement weather, the first of the season. It was the hot topic everywhere I went today: when the bad weather was coming, what it would consist of, how bad the roads would be, if school would be cancelled or late, and so on. Regis said he thinks people just like to go to bars during storms and that's why they anticipate them with such glee. I wonder where he got that idea since it's not something we've ever done.

I think I'm on a Christmas strike. I hauled all that crap out of the basement and now I don't feel like doing anything with it. Regis made a remark (don't you hate that?) about the bare tree but I just said harrumph. I could easily point him to the lights and ornaments. I don't believe there's a rule that women have to decorate the tree. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

I heard the first snow machines of the season go past on the boulevard. We used to call them snow mobiles but we have been educated by the former VP candidate, you know the one I mean. Snow machines sounds so much more sophisticated.

I took my library books back to the library today so I'm sort of without a book to read. I have one I bought but it's a heavy hardcover and you know how I feel about those. I need to invent a small winch for over the bed so it's easier to read those heavy books. Honestly, I think I have carpal tunnel from the last one.

Regis likes to download books and put them on his iPod. He's listened to lots of books that way but I, on the contrary, have never listened to one book on my iPod. I can't do it. I get distracted, my mind wanders, and I stop paying attention. That's from the Department of Redundancy Department. Maybe I should pick something with some more steam rather than that non-fiction stuff.

We got the new Indiana Jones movie from Netflix but I'm not too interested in watching it. I have a low quotient for action. I don't like violence, bombs, murder, war, loud noises, bad guys, height, or speed. If there are special effects, that's it. I like movies where not much happens outwardly and people talk in low voices. Tender Mercies was one of my all-time favorite movies.

I read the Netflix review and it says Indiana Jones uses his bullwhip to save the world from imminent peril. Imminent peril. Uh oh.

Once I thought I was having a heart attack in the middle of the night. I got up and checked the internet for my symptoms which mostly consisted of pain between the shoulder blades. The site I read said that pain between the shoulder blades is one of the main symptoms of heart attack in women. Pain between the shoulder blades and AN IMPENDING SENSE OF DOOM. Well, I hadn't had a problem with an impending sense of doom until I read that. I made Regis get up and take me to the ER. It was only GERD, not a heart attack after all. I don't know why imminent peril made me think of that.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull didn't do so well on Netflix, only a 2.2. I love it when Netflix says most viewers rate something a horrible number, but viewers like me give it a 4.7. What? I have bad taste? I think this was true of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. I rest my case.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i love your last two blogs mama! you are a riot and i love you! eric and i chuckled when you wrote about the gift from deb.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff