weekend

Regis and I went to the place for dinner where when you used to go there the bait shop had a better bathroom than the restaurant. Not true anymore. The bathroom is lovely and the beer is cold. Those are not in order of importance.

I went swimming today and the water was a gorgeous temperature. I didn't want to get out but I was alone and it got a tiny bit boring. I tried treading water and watching television through the window but that didn't work so well. There was a monkey and that's all I know.

I can count quickly five people I know well who have lost their jobs or who are fearful of losing their jobs. Scary times. Regis says the atmosphere at his work is awful...people think that on Friday they will come for them.

We're going to see Dean McGraw at the Bothy tomorrow night. This is one of the best shows in town for fifteen bucks. You can have some popcorn, sit in the front row, visit with the Doctor Daniels, and hear some fine music. Sometimes Dean has us sing and wave our arms in the air which honestly makes a guy weep. It's so good for the stress bubbles that accumulate in your chest.

I don't get this. The superbowl is on Sunday and there's stuff on tv tonight? The only thing I care about is the half-time show. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. Beyond that they could play that game in Latvia. Really, what is there to talk about? It's a game.

I've been wearing boots the last few months, or shoes that look like something an immigrant would wear trudging behind an ox cart on the way across the continent. I see other women in strappy little heels. In the snow and subzero temperatures. Do they have some alien immunity to frost bite? These are brave souls.

A friend of ours left the other day for Africa to photograph the migration of the wildebeast. He was seen, according to witnesses, at the post office downtown in sandaled bare feet. I wonder if he had plans to go to Africa with no toes.

I've been watching, with some fascination, the story about the 50th anniversary of the day the music died. I wasn't really a fan of any of those people and I don't want to travel to Clear Lake for the event, but it's interesting that there are so many people who are and who will. I am a fan of American Pie mostly because I remember Steve Schipp singing it at Dooner and Marcia's wedding reception at the golf club. Word for word. That's how I remember it anyway.

Funny how memories get mixed up.

Comments

PP said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
PP said…
Do you know what I think is funny? "Hi, my name is Teresa, and I don't have any experience examining student work in mathematics." Holy crap I about peed my pants.
Anonymous said…
Oh do I ever want to know what the remark was that was removed.

I haven't got the wherewithall, the oomph, or the gumption to write a smart remark. I came all the way to North Carolina to find out it is warmer in MN today than it is here. Ha ha. That's my life... professional and personal. A day late, a dollar short.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff