51 on saturday and we're looking for flat rocks on which to bask

Seriously. 51 degrees on Saturday. We've had 35 days of below zero temperatures since December 1st. That is brutal. Brutal. For those of you who live in warmer climates, a below zero temperature is a negative number way below where water freezes, at 32 degrees. Thirty-two degrees colder than that is ZERO. Ah well, never mind.

Our dog, Kramer, who got a haircut yesterday. We turned down the senior dog wellness plan that allows for a teeth-cleaning at a reduced price. This is a 12 year old dog who has already had a multi-thousand dollar eye surgery. I can't explain why we did this. I didn't even want to buy a 12-month supply of heart worm medication. I thought we could go with the 6-month plan and see how his health is at that point. Regis says I'm heartless. I love my dogs but they're dogs. I remember the days when they lived in dog houses outside. Our sissy dog doesn't like to lay on the bare leather, he likes a blanket.

I took today off from swimming after going to bed at 8:30 last night and sleeping until 7:00 this morning. I took my time leaving the house, drinking coffee, eating a little breakfast while seated unlike the last few days of eating on the run. I feel so much better tonight as I'm not a person who appreciates a fast pace.

Regis is sampling the Mr. Beer tonight. He likes the taste but it generates a lot of, shall we say, methane. I can tell from the belching going on and have warned him that this might not an activity he wants to pursue. Look for the green mushroom cloud over our house.

I've gotten really finicky about the books I'm reading. I quit a book in the middle last week and started The Book Thief. It's very good (wonderful writing where you need sticky flags to mark sentences...) but damn it, I'm not sure I want to read something that intense. I'm a sissy, I know. Or a dork. I have about five favorite authors and they better keep writing because I don't know what I'll do if they die or retire. Uh oh, Bill.

I have to go pay attention to 30 Rock.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Keep going with The Book Thief. It's quite amazing.

I met a teacher from New Ulm today named Tammy Yackley. I can't remember her maiden name, but I have it written down and will check tomorrow. Anyway, she and her husband are both from Canby. She was a student when your dad was at the h.s. She said really nice things about him, and about your mom. She's a 40-something, or that's my guess at least. Last year a Gustavus grad was a fifth grade teacher with Tammy. Missy showed Tammy some family story stuff, and one of the pieces of writing was your Canby poem, which I love to show the students. Tammy loved the poem, and said it made her think about your dad. It was a lovely conversation.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff