a recipe from the past

I'm working on a project to organize my recipes. I decided against using google docs exclusively for several reasons most of which revolve around my love for just browsing through the binders and remembering special meals. Here's the mess today. I have ended up with binders for Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, St. Patrick's Day, Miscellaneous parties, Healthy, and General. One of the pleasant side effects is that I run across recipes I thought were lost. Here's one.

I first had this at Deb's apartment in probably 1976. I copied it and made if for a St. Patrick's Day party in 1978 when I lived in St. Paul. It's been missing for a while but here it is! Resurrected for St. Patrick's Day 2010!

Two Cheese Casserole
10 slices white bread with crust removed
softened butter
3/4 pound shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 pound shredded Monterey Jack
8 eggs, slightly beaten
4 cups half and half
1 t. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. garlic and onion powder
1/8 t. red pepper
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. Worst. sauce
1 t. dry mustard

Butter the bread and cut in cubes. Grease a shallow pan (9X13). Put in half the bread cubes, sprinkle with 1/2 of each cheese to make 2nd and 3rd layers. Repeat. Combine eggs and spices and other ingredients. Pour evenly over the top. Refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for one hour.

You can tell this is a recipe from the days when "light" had no meaning in cooking but we knew the bread didn't need no dang butter! With all the cheese and those whole eggs? You can skip that step. I adapted it a couple times by adding ham or sausage and it's very good that way, too. I think now I might use pepper jack cheese instead of the Monterey Jack. Just for more of a kick.

Back to my project.

Comments

Jill said…
I'm fairly sure I have this recipe somewhere, too. The only unfamiliar ingredient is the brown sugar, which my mom wouldn't have put in anyway. She wouldn't have buttered the bread, either. And she'd have used milk, about half the cheese, and I'm sure only 6 eggs. She had her own way of feeding a family of 6 on a shoestring AND with half the fat!

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff