community supported agriculture

This year, we bought a half share of a community supported agriculture project in St. Peter. For 260 dollars, we get a box of vegetables every other week. Yesterday was our first pick-up and here it is!



It was so pretty I cleared off the table in the porch so Regis could take some pictures. There's beet greens, kale, lettuce, spinach, radishes, and garlic scapes. At least one of those, I have never eaten before. We had a wonderful dinner with a variety of new vegetables, one of the best I think we have ever made. The garlic scape pesto was a little strong for our taste. I think next time I would throw in some parsley instead of making it with all garlic.

I have a recipe for kale chips that I tried in the afternoon. You tear the kale into bite size pieces, rub it with olive oil and sprinkle it with salt, and bake it until they're crisp. One of our neighbors stopped for a visit and a beer in the afternoon and I served him kale chips. They're not the kind of thing that will take care of a big hunger but the reviews were good. Tasty, light, healthy. Ha!

I'm anxious to try Swiss chard again. Last time, with the chard we bought at the grocery store, it was kind of gnarly and bitter. These leaves are much smaller and more tender.

We've been suffering some nasty weather here. Out of the 15 days so far in June, 11 of them have been rainy. People are starting to get homicidal. We sit on the patio from time to time but it's cold and the bugs are nasty. Last night we sprayed up good with bug juice, lit some citronella candles, and made a go of it. Two neighbors stopped by so you know it's time for the sun to come out. We sit inside all winter...enough of this!

Here's our weather forecast for Tuesday: Mostly cloudy. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then scattered thunderstorms and isolated showers in the afternoon. Highs 70 to 75. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent. Translation: Fifty percent chance of partly sunny to partly cloudy.

Last night I turned on my kindle to read, started the page, then accidentally went back to the menu. I couldn't remember the title of the book I was reading. This is what I don't like about the kindle. There is no aesthetic connection to the book. No awareness of the size, the cover, the author. I think one of the reasons I haven't been reading much is that it isn't appealing. I'm going back to books for a while to see if it makes a difference.

Our big wine tour is this weekend.  We have about 25 people signed up but not all of them have paid yet which is cause for concern. We might have a bus with 6 people riding to the vineyards. Ah, well.

I'm going to finish this cup of coffee then go to the Pulse. Yes, I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff