monday rolls around again with lots of dairy products

Seriously. Where do the weekends go? It seems like we just get started and wham the weekend is over. It's a tease. Or a time warp.



We had another fun family dinner last night. Tiffany and Elliot came about 4:00. We had spaghetti and meatballs with focaccia bread. Elliot ate like a champ and hardly made a mess. He was occupied most of the evening by a big piece of paper we laid over his little picnic table and some crayons. He can say "color". He also likes the magnets on the refrigerator and spends a lot of time taking them off and putting them back on. He was not so interested in wearing the Santa hat as his patience was about up with our shenanigans.

I've had a cold for five days that makes my eyes run like a faucet. I have wiped them so much that I have red rings around them and I look like a raccoon. The Mary Kay night cream I keep smeared around them doesn't help the look much either. And you thought it was the wine, I bet.

Ella and Alex are coming over after school today. We're going for a drive to see the Christmas lights and then having dinner at Patrick's. We're going to teach Alex how to say Cha Cha basket which is Ella's favorite dinner in the world. It contains chicken strips, tator tots, and a pink lemonade. All four major food groups.

I just poured my second cup of coffee and it's 3:40 am. I added the last of a carton of heavy cream that I bought for something else but we have used in our coffee since that whatever was done. We love cream or half & half in our coffee but generally don't buy it to have at home. If we're out and about for coffee, we use cream (not that powdered stuff which is an abomination) but at home we drink our coffee black....except for between Thanksgiving and Christmas, then it's no holds barred on the dairy products.

We go through a lot of butter over the holidays. I buy Hope butter for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Hope butter, as I have written here before, is truly nectar of the Gods. When the guy in the store first offered me a sample of it, I, and several other women samplers, went weak in the knees. It's expensive and delicious and really makes even good bread just a vehicle for getting it to your mouth.

I am a hedonist when it comes to dairy products; no faux dairy enters my door. Real butter, real cream, real sour cream. Full fat. I whip heavy cream from a carton in a bowl. That fake stuff that comes frozen in a plastic container should be against the law and probably is in some states like Wisconsin. Why eat something that tastes that bad?

I was just thinking about the opposite of hedonism (don't most people who are awake at this hour?). Here it is: asceticism. Here's what it means:

  • the doctrine that through renunciation of worldly pleasures it is possible to achieve a high spiritual or intellectual state
  • austerity: the trait of great self-denial (especially refraining from worldly pleasures)
  • rigorous self-denial and active self-restraint

Yeah, most of the time, this is not our doctrine. Rigorous self-denial and active self-restraint. Ha! I hope neither of our doctors read this blog. After the holidays, it's back to black coffee.

In case you're not from around here, it's 18 degrees this morning which feels like a heat wave. We have a 100% chance of snow and I don't mind but people who have been shoveling constantly for two weeks are starting to get a little edgy. The Winter Solstice is at 5:38 pm and I think we'll raise a glass to the start of winter.

I had to go back and edit this post. I was using Ha and a lot of ! marks. What do you think that means?

I'm going to work out with Rachel at 5 so you see I am not a complete hedonist. Happy Monday. No ! mark. Just a period.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff