3 a.m.

I woke up at 2:45, unable to get back to sleep. I want to go to the Pulse this morning... it's too late to take an Ambien so I get out of bed, make coffee, turn up the furnace, and start the day.

I don't mind it, really. I like the early morning hours but the day gets long. I need a little nap about 9 o'clock and they frown on that at work. Ha!

In the fuzzy minutes between sleep and waking, I thought of a good blog title but of course, like dreams, now it's gone.

We had a quiet evening. I read an article in a magazine, read a book for a while, paid bills for the middle of the month, talked to Mom on the phone. We planned to watch Pirate Radio but it got too late.

We want to go out to Canby for a visit but I want to wait until they have five days without a late start. That could be May. Last week, they had one day of school and that started late. When the wind blows out there, it's awful. Tiffany and I drove out one sunny, warm late February day last winter and I was scared to death between Canby and Marshall. The snow had drifted across the road and left six inches of slippery slush. Meeting a car in one of those patches was interesting, believe me. One of us, Mom or me, needs to move.

I turned in my retirement letter yesterday. I really hadn't agonized over it for about two weeks but wanted to see how the decision sat. It sat just fine. I'm looking forward to the next phase. I don't quite see how I could be old enough to retire but I guess I am. I'm going to be looking for a job with daytime hours and week day hours, good pay, low stress. Let me know if you hear of one of those!

It was a good day to send the letter yesterday. It had been a week of meetings and running around. One day I was in four buildings. I just can't keep it all straight anymore. I'm sure there are people who do that more than I do and are able to juggle competently all the paper and tasks. I can't do it anymore. I can't do it with any sense of enthusiasm.

I have some big projects I want to do before the end of the year so I'm not planning to be sitting on my haunches waiting to spring out the door on the last day. But it's nice to look forward to sweeping some of these things out of my head in July.

I think I wrote about Regis and the 5,000 text messages back in December. Yesterday he started sending and receiving random texts again. By the end of the day, he was up to more than 350. He sends texts to weird numbers like 106. Hey, that ain't no phone number! He has his computer set up to be a SETI receiver so my theory is that the aliens are contacting him on his phone and 106 is an alien phone number. The upshot is that they are sending him a new phone. Verizon customer support didn't want to try to reprogram the alien text codes out of his current phone.


Regis has this t-shirt. There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't. Whenever he wears it, I read it and hear a distant ringing. I think there was a time I learned about binary and even understood it. Now, it's in the gray fog at the end of my brain's alley. He tries to explain it but I say it's ok. It's one of life's mysteries.

There are other things I have given up trying to understand. Why some people are mean and ignorant when they have an education and lots of opportunities is one. Why tiny bird legs don't crack off on the days when it's 30 degrees below. How airplanes fly.

I thought it was supposed to be warmer this morning but the Trib says -3. That is not much warmer. I guess technically, it is, but come on....three degrees? That's not enough to notice. Not like any damn heat wave, my friends. Although....by the end of the day, Paul Douglas says it could be 30 degrees. Above zero. That might almost be enough to make a guy shed the snorkel parka and put his face up to the sun.


Happy Friday! Plan something fun this weekend. Don't be cleaning the basement or dusting shelves. Lifes' too short for that BS.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You did it, and you're moving forward. Good for you, Teresa!

Jill

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff