early tuesday

So, yesterday, my mom sends me an email containing photos of Queen Elizabeth with every American president going back to Harry Truman. The commentary said something about not believing how old she was. I laughed, too, but then thought hey wait a dang minute. I remember every one of those presidents except for the very last one. Ha! There's some irony for you.

I have an interview this afternoon for what seems like it could be my dream job post-retirement. It's been so much fun gathering letters of recommendation and artifacts to demonstrate my skills for THIS job as compared to the process of trying to get a job in a school which was bloody awful stuffed-shirt torture. Every time, it was. I have some wonderful and creative letters from friends, pictures of our theme parties, pictures of costumes, pictures of holiday table settings, and a recipe binder for St. Patrick's Day and the Vernal Equinox party. What could be more fun than that?

I got a haircut last night and as always, I didn't tell Patrick what to do. A true hair artist, he just starts snipping and I end up with shorter locks. The few times I have gone in with an idea, it has not gone so well; I'm better off just turning him loose. I also bought some mulberry (or malbec?) colored nail polish that I love. I'm thinking about wearing the animal print skirt and boots for the interview.

I'm not going to crab about the weather anymore.

I talked to my mom last night on the phone. She is 81 and had gone to play cards with her 91-year old friend. they each won a couple games and thought that was fine. It's interesting to think that we all have friends, older and younger, and we don't think about it much. I have friends now who were born after I went to college. They don't know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

I'm registered for another run this weekend but it...whoops...this would be a weather-related comment. Delete. Let's just say this: There is a chance I will decline to participate.

Yesterday I only had to go to one other school and that was right at the end of the day. That's tolerable. I hate the days when I drive up and down Washington Avenue four times in one day like I did last week. By the end of the week, I hardly know where I am. I have found myself at stop signs a little puzzled; am I coming or going? I have a pile of folders on my desk to go through from last week...meeting after meeting after meeting.

These are things I would rather do today:

  1. Go out for breakfast with Regis
  2. Go shopping for bright, spring jewelry...maybe some orange and hot pink
  3. Stay in bed and read a book
  4. Write a letter to someone
  5. Plant pansies in the pots on the patio
  6. Uncover some of the perennials in the garden
  7. Sit in front of the fireplace and drink coffee
  8. Put my Easter stuff away
  9. Plan a tapas party
  10. Listen to Willie Dixon
That's a good list. None of that sounds like work now, does it?


Comments

mom said…
Correction..My friend is 99 and will be 100 this fall. She lives in her own apartment and just started getting meals on wheels or is it meals for wheels! She is a gem.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff