blues

We're listening to the radio and they're playing some old blues record that must have been on the Titanic...and under water all these years since it sunk. Holy crap. Doesn't that scratchy business get on anybody else's nerves?

We have these beautiful blue ray videos of a salt water/coral reef fish tank on the television. It even bubbles like a real fish tank. And no nasty cleaning! This is my kind of pet.

I'm finding it hard to keep up with holidays and celebrations. I was ill-prepared for Syttende Mai last week and now it's Bob's birthday tomorrow and I got nothin'. I am a disappointment to myself.

I have a limited number of days left in my teaching career. I called the TRA folks today to make sure they had everything they needed and they do. I should get my first check in July as opposed to October as it described as a possibility on the website. Seriously. I apply in March and it could take 6 months to get a check? Do they send it by turtle? Have they heard of direct deposit?


We watched Nowhere Boy last night. It's a biopic (new word?) about John Lennon. We enjoyed it. Mostly focused on the relationships he had with his Mum and his Aunt who raised him.

I love this poem.

The Perfect Day
by Alice Persons

You wake with
no aches
in the arms
of your beloved
to the smell of fresh coffee
you eat a giant breakfast
with no thought
of carbs
there is time to read
with a purring cat on your lap
later you walk by the ocean
with your dog
on this cut crystal day
your favorite music and the sun
fill the house
a short delicious nap
under a fleece throw
comes later
and the phone doesn’t ring
at dusk you roast a chicken,
bake bread, make an exquisite
chocolate cake
for some friends
you’ve been missing
someone brings you an 
unexpected present
and the wine is just right with the food
after a wonderful party
you sink into sleep
in a clean nightgown
in fresh sheets
your sweetheart doesn’t snore
and in your dreams 
an old piece of sadness
lifts away

From Never Say Never (Moon Pie Press).


Especially the part about the old piece of sadness that lifts away. I've learned, as I've gotten older, that 
life is like that. Every day is new joy or new sadness. They fall out of the sky and they lift back up and 
you just keep going even though some days are hard. You just have to know that some days will be hard
and the next day could be a perfect one like this.

Happy birthday to Bob Dylan today.

Comments

Jill said…
Beautiful poem, poignant language.

I'm with you on the scratchy old blues and jazz recordings. I think Bob Dylan must have listened to them when he was growing up...influenced his voice. Ha ha. Don't take that as a hate message about BD. I like him, too! Just too much of a coincidence to pass up.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff