i smell like burned toast

When I came home from work yesterday, Regis took a big whiff and said I smelled like burned toast. I have heard people say that before about the smell of ground coffee so I assume it's from hanging out by the espresso machine.

That was a riot, by the way. An espresso machine looks like this:


The barista stands behind it and performs a very complex series of actions to make good espresso. So many factors: length of grinding, way it is packed, temperature of water, length of time water pours over grounds. Ashley has been doing this for four years and she talked about all of this with me yesterday. I've never had espresso before and I liked it.


The fact that it's served in these darling little cups doesn't hurt a bit either.

One man came in and ordered four shots in a big cup. Wow. I asked Ashley if that's common and no, it isn't. Not in a small town. She said that's more common in a big city. Must have been not from here, that guy.

So far, I love my job. Not the banking part so much, although it's interesting. I love the part where I get to learn about coffee and food. I love that the chefs are always experimenting with flavors and herbs and spices and that they aren't worried about being too bold. 

I love the part of my job where I get to research other cafes and bistros to see what they're doing about customer service. Check out Dish Gourmet in Boulder.

I especially love the hospitality part of my job. From 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock, I am on call to help in the front. I am the hostess so I greet people when they come in the door, talk with them about the menu, make sure they know where things are, and I check to make sure things are tidy and inviting. It's a hoot.

Yesterday, in a conversation about coffee, I confessed that Regis likes Kwik Trip coffee best of all. He makes no apologies.

I think to fully appreciate life, you have to appreciate the bizarre. This week, I noticed there was a pile of bird poop right over my car door that looks like a tiny owl. I have driven to Mankato twice and still it hangs there. I asked Regis to take a picture of it and maybe he will.

It's only 5 a.m. but we're going to Mankato to buy groceries as soon as it's light outside. We'll make it a fun day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff