little vinaigrettes

This has been a busy week. Lots of activity at work and at home.

Thursday night, I went to my first Writing in Vignette class at the Art Center. It was very interesting and I woke up the next morning at 4, thinking about my homework. I thought that was a good sign so I went into the office and cranked out a few vignettes.

I worked with a woman years ago who told me she was reading a book that was a series of little vinaigrettes. It tickled me so that I can hardly say the word correctly now. I had to tell the instructor the story in case I slipped and used the word vinaigrette in class.

I've been busy writing for the coffee shop blog, too. My job has been in a state of flux for months and it seems like we're finally settling on what my job should and should not be. That would be a relief. I think we're settling on these things: promotion, public relations, and networking. Yes, I can do that.

Peter stopped over the other night, unexpectedly. We didn't have dinner ready which is kind of unusual but I did have some ribs in the freezer that he agreed to consume. Imagine that. He also wanted his car insurance information that had come in the mail here. I rifled through pile after pile of possible piles, looked in every possible drawer and couldn't find it. I did find an article called "How to Control Your Clutter". Hahaha! I thought that was a hoot. I eventually did find the thing he wanted.

The other morning, I was checking my email and looked at one from Amazon. Before I knew it, I had spent thirty minutes looking at One-Hit Wonders for my music cloud. Music cloud. I can hardly get my head around that. I think it means that I store my music somewhere else. Not a real cloud but a big computer somewhere. Amazon is not so fussy about where the music came from so I'm going to use them. I only bought one of the one-hit wonders.

I went to a marketing seminar the other day at a radio station in Mankato. I thought they might have some good coffee and treats (not) and that I might learn something. It was really interesting and I did learn a lot. Some things I had an awareness of already, like the yellow pages are pretty much a thing of the past, people don't advertise on tv much anymore (because of TIVO and dvr), and that social media can be powerful.

The sales rep I was sitting beside told me to check out two things: red line and lazer something or other. One of them will automatically send a text message to people driving by your restaurant. What the hell. How do it know?


Redlaser and Foursquare. I can barely get my head around this.

If you have a scanner thing on your phone, you can focus it on this code and it will take you right to River Rock's blog. What the hell. How do it know?

I have two books to read on social marketing. I better get started.

Comments

Jill said…
Hi Teresa. I get a little nervous about the "tasks" a smart phone can do without permission from the user. If it weren't for you alerting me to Redlaser and Foursquare I'd think aliens had landed if I got a text from a place of business as I drove by. Or maybe a "Hello, Dave. This is HAL," moment from 2001, A Space Odyssey.
Jill said…
Now here's another comment. I like the new format of your blog. Easy to read the current blog, and nice to see others right there to link to.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff