sunday

Regis and I get our beef from Mike out by LeCenter so we sometimes get cuts of meat we aren't sure how to cook. I looked at some recipes yesterday but most had gravy and I didn't want gravy so I invented this recipe. It was delicious and we will make it again!

Round Steak Zapata

2 pound (?) round steak, seasoned liberally with something spicy. We used Penzey's Southwest
Brown steak in vegetable oil on both sides.
Slice up two red peppers and two white onions. Toss them in the frying pan aside the meat. Stir them a bit so they get some of the spice and the oil, add about a 1/4 cup of salsa, then cover.
I cooked the meat for an hour, turning once, and stirring the vegetables from time to time.
At the end, I took the meat out and sliced it into about half an inch thick. Return meat to pan.
I shredded a circle of Cacique Manchego (Mexican melting cheese) and covered the meat and vegetables with the cheese. Recover until the cheese melts...just a few minutes.
Dump the whole business on a platter. Serve with your favorite hot sauce or salsa and sour cream.



We had a family of five cardinals in our feeders this morning. They sort of jockeyed for positions with the white-eared squirrels.

I took all the ornaments off the tree today and packed them up. Ella wants to come over and decorate the tree for Valentine's Day. If you see Valentine's Day tree decorations somewhere, let me know.

As a reward, I'm going for a walk. I like to take my iPod on Sunday and listen to either the Moth or the radio. I like Car Talk & Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, or Prairie Home Companion.

Pictures from last night.




Gus was playing with a leather football on a rope, swinging it around in the air, whacking himself in the head, and occasionally losing control of it. I predicted disaster and sure enough, the football got away, hit my wine glass, dumped it on the floor and ice went skittering in every direction. The glass didn't break and the wine was gone...only things that kept it from being labeled a catastrophe.

Doesn't he have the cutest face?

Thanks to my friend, Jill, I have a subscription to Bookmarks magazine and now have a notebook with a list of books I want to read. I add to it with every issue of Bookmarks and every Sunday when I read the Variety section of the paper.

Well, off for my walk. I might take my little camera and take a few photos to document the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff