food and writing



I've been reading lots of food books lately: A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg, Comfort Me with Apples by Ruth Reichl, & The Art of Eating by M.F.K. Fisher. And this lovely piece from the NYT: Sips of Home, Bites of Memory. There is real comfort in reading about food during the dark days of winter.

I've had conversations with friends about my focus on food and whether or not it's healthy to spend so much time thinking about food, reading about food, looking for recipes, cooking. I think it's very healthy and I think it makes food more important, maybe sacred is the right word, than it was for me in the past.

I had a thought as I was lounging around this morning. My job has changed a lot since I started. In the beginning, food and coffee were reduced to numbers on a calendar and bank deposits and payroll. Now that I am focusing on promotion, the joy of food is coming back. I didn't want to think about food much less read about it for a while. Numbers are the scourge of the earth. Or at least of my existence. Ha!

The picture is a tiny filet that I made for us on Valentine's Day. It had a red wine reduction which I had never made before. The recipe called for a zinfandel and I wasn't fond of the sweet taste. I would rather have had a drier wine, I think. It is pretty though, isn't it?

I've highlighted lots of words and recipes in these books on my Kindle but I don't know yet how to retrieve them and do anything with them.

Which leads me to the cross-over in social media topic.

Today I was tempted to write a note on the River Rock Facebook page that went like this: Tweet me if you want to be added to our email list. Good grief.

I get mixed up with all the inputs and outputs. I can't remember if something came to me via email or FB or Twitter much less of which device...Kindle, phone, laptop, desktop...it sends me over the edge some days.

Moving on into the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff