brown skirt and easter eggs

I bought the brown skirt. I apologized to the young woman making it and said I promised I wasn't crazy. I said it's like designing a horse by committee...you get a camel in the end! I think I'll be happy with brown.

I'm making Easter dinner for some group of relatives. We're never sure just how many will be here. Somewhere between 8 and 12, I'm thinking. Today I'm making vegan cut-out cookies, Italian country bread, and I'm coloring eggs. I'll get pictures of the process.

We had a busy cooking week. We made flank steak and grilled peppers for two friends from my writing class on Tuesday night. It was delicious and beautiful and we served it simply with tortillas, sour cream, and salsa. Aside from a glass of wine, you don't need much else.

On Thursday night, we had our old friend, Deb, over for dinner. We made lime and chili marinaded chicken breasts, grilled asparagus, roasted sweet potatoes and the best pepper salad. I bastardized a recipe but basically it was sliced up sweet peppers and olives in a balsamic dressing. I loved it. We didn't get photos of either of those meals.

Here's something we made this winter that I just found on the camera:


It's a smorgasbord of stuff we made on the table-top grill we bought for 25 cents at a garage sale in Iowa. We bought the grill for 25 cents...not the food. I think I might have dangled a participle.


Regis bought groceries on Tuesday and when I came home from the gym, I found this note. It says, "I bought this tater because I thought it was a dead ringer for Bob Hope!" I laughed out loud. That's my honey!

I made a from-scratch Boston Cream Pie today. The cake didn't stick in the pan, the custard didn't curdle, and now if I can get the ganache right and get the whole thing assembled, it will be a successful mission. This is the custard on the stove, waiting for the vanilla bean to infuse. I took a picture of the cake, too, but I am a fairly crappy photographer and none of them turned out.




I'm going to stop here. I have a few errands to run downtown and then I might be back to document the rest of my day. What a thrill.

Comments

Jill said…
Love that Bob Hope potato. Jay Leno Potato would be jealous.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff