saturday in pictures and links

Yesterday, I took my bike for a long ride, over to Dodd Road, up by the hospital, around the campus of Gustavus, and downtown to the farmer's market. This is my bike with basket full of sweet corn, melon, peppers, and cherry tomatoes.


Next stop was River Rock where Helena made me this beautiful latte and I had a fresh-from-the-oven pastry with blueberry mint jam. It was so good.


I bought two more to take home. Seriously delicious and just the right size, about two inches square. Also bought a loaf of Cranberry Walnut Buckwheat Bread. If I had been stranded somewhere along the way home, I would have been well-fed for a long time.


It was a beautiful day for a bike ride...long pants and light sweater against the cool breeze. If it hadn't been for the bastards going right through stop signs, it would have been a very pleasant morning. I don't hesitate to shout at people who do that. Do they think nobody sees them? Hey pal, I'm right here and I see the stop sign you just skated. This wasn't a slow stop, this was a drive right through a four-way stop. Maybe where he's from, the road signs are only suggestions of things you could do..

Our friend, Emily, worked for a time in the 1980s for the Great American Circus as a publicist. Last time she was here, she told about driving ahead of the circus to promote it with local media. Her job also entailed shepherding Tiny Tim around. Here's an article that talks about Tim's circus job.


Last night when she came to dinner, Emily brought the a copy of a People magazine from the 80s. We laughed about how she kept it in an archival quality Ziploc bag. Ha!


This is a photo of Emily and Tiny Tim from a People magazine during the time they both worked for the circus. They were at a gala at Studio 54 in New York City. You can't see it in the photo but Tiny Tim has on a gold cape Emily found for him in a theatrical costume shop. She said he loved it.


And this is what we had for dinner: Pork chops from Schmidt's Meat Market, steaks, sweet corn, melon and strawberries, green salad with carrots and tomatoes, and Buckwheat Bread. Perfect summer meal.


Here we are, glass of wine in hand, prepared to eat, telling stories.

There you go. That's Saturday in my world. I don't think today will be quite as much fun as I see laundry, dishes, and work in my future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff