tripping down memory lane

I'm not sure I like this trend in the social media to publish pictures of things from my youth as if they were artifacts from Tut's tomb. As I get older, I have more trouble with my memory, even about recent things, like what I had for lunch, and I don't need the distant past and the current stuff mixed up like this. I don't feel like joining 500,000 people in saying, "I remember that!" Even if I do.



Maybe nursing homes are using this data to identify their next demographic growth area. Click like on the Cartwrights and suddenly you're getting the AARP magazine, ads for Depends, and a brochure from the neighborhood assisted living facility.


This one, I like. I loved comic books when I was a kid and when I was an English major, I always defended the reading of comic books. I don't know why they were considered substandard reading material. We would sit out under a tree with a big box of comics, take turns reading the favorites, trade with neighbor kids who wandered by with their own stash, and encourage each other in the reading of one that was particularly good.

So, maybe I'll go to the assisted living facility some day if they have comic books.

Peter came for dinner last night and while we didn't get pictures, the food was wonderful. I made a roasted corn relish that had a real kick to it. Made a big bowl of canteloupe and strawberries. Made a nice salad with greens and carrots from the CSA. Grilled steak and brats. Can't eat better than that.

I dug out a recipe for moussaka this morning. I have ended up with more eggplant than I really care to eat and that's one recipe I like. Eggplant, zucchini, and their ilk, all have that texture that is reminiscent of a sponge and not a very tasty one at that. I don't have an aversion...I just don't crave them.

Regis and Young Regis are going to do a man project today...putting gutter caps on our gutters. We have so many big trees in our neighborhood that the gutters on our one-story house are collection points for leaves, sticks, and tennis balls. I just hope this project does not involve spray foam.

That's a story for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff