what the...


I can't figure out what I meant by the subject line of that last post. I tried a couple times to edit it to make sense, but it just doesn't. It must have a 4 a.m. post.

I have been working on my list of books to read and I continue to run across titles that I remember reading, but I don't remember details. Should I read them again, or just make note and move on? I have been attracted to historical fiction, a genre I haven't read much since I was a teenager. I just finished the two books by Hillary Mantel about Henry the VIII...probably what revived my interest.

I also read the Will Thomas series that started with Some Danger Involved. Mystery: Another genre from my past. Here's the list of books I've liked in the past year...

  • The Memory Palace by Mira Bartok
  • The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
  • Let's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell
  • Wild by Cheryl Strayed
  • Life Itself by Roger Ebert
  • The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  • Returning to Earth by Jim Harrison
  • The Long Road Home by Jim Harrison
  • True North by Jim Harrison
  • In One Person by John Irving
  • Great House by Nichole Krauss
  • Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen
  • Stone Arabia by Dana Spiotta
  • The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak
  • Some Danger Involved by Will Thomas
  • To Kingdom Come by Will Thomas
  • The Limehouse Text by Will Thomas
  • Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
  • The Financial Lives of Poets by Jess Walter
  • Before I Go to Sleep by SJ Watson
  • Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel
  • Bring Up the Bodies by Hillary Mantel
I thought about adding comments or scores but I liked them all for different reasons.

I love a Saturday with no formal plans. I have a very loose plan to take a ride on my bike at 9 and to stop at the farmer's market and River Rock. Really depends on how things go. I did my weekend tidying up last night so that's done.

I'm trying hard to not be driven insane by all the political BS that's out there. I had to unsubscribe from a couple of Facebook news feeds even though I liked their message. They just got me too stirred up and that's not good. You might as well eat a Big Mac a day as listen to that stuff. I don't watch the news and I rarely read political news in the paper. I like an unbalanced view, or a view from my own perspective, which may make me narrow minded but I don't care. Some of that crap just doesn't fit with my world view.

I had blood work done at my last medical appointment. I received a letter from the doc yesterday with the news about my cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides. All were well within acceptable limits and she congratulated me on my work keeping my cholesterol down. I don't do anything to make that happen and I give all the credit to my good gene pool, Mom. And thanks, too, for the taste for butter, cream, bacon, and red meat!



Regis and I watched a roast of Roseanne the other night on Comedy Central. I thought it was mostly gross and mean and not so funny. Last night, we watched a Dean Martin roast of George Burns from 1978. The set was more subtle as was the humor. Even though I think every person there that night is now dead, it was much funnier than the more recent roast. I suppose this means that I am losing touch,

One comforting thing about watching all the aging movie stars is that you realize, as Warren Zevon says, that the rich folks get it like the rest of us. They get addictions and wrinkles and bald and ugly. And to invoke another favorite singer, people my age are starting to look gross.

I've been staring at this for an hour...over a cup of coffee, then an egg on toast, and now over my plate. Time to move on, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff