I found Santa at the HyVee in Mankato!


When I started seeing pictures of my grandkids with Santa, I got the happy notion that I wanted my picture taken with Santa this year. I missed it when Santa came to the lumberyard in St. Peter so I put out the word that my friends should let me know when he came to town again.

As luck would have it, we were walking into the HyVee yesterday morning and there was Santa, going in the other door! Regis and I grabbed a cart and trailed him through the deli and back to the entrance. He was setting up the Salvation Army red kettle so I asked if I could have my picture taken with him. He insisted I sit on his knee even though he was carrying a cane and I was a little worried about that. He was a funny Santa and it was a hoot.

I woke up a little pissy again this morning. I had a call yesterday from a health care provider who I like very much. She wanted to know how I was doing. Appreciate that. I said sleeping is my biggest issue. She thinks it's because I am lying awake at night worrying about cancer and that I am in denial about cancer being a part of my life. I call bullshit.

She wants me to visit with a social worker and go to a support group. I thought I just needed better drugs for sleeping but all she offers is guided imagery and sympathy which I can find in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

I agreed to visit with the social worker next time I come in but I am not going to a support group at this point. It might be different than I imagine (most likely) but sitting in a circle of folding chairs with a bunch of morose people is not my idea of support or fun.

I have a long list of people who are wonderful support for me, some who have been through breast cancer and some who have not. I tried an online support group and we all know how that went. They censored me.

Am I stomping my foot and saying not not not?

So, I will carry on. If I am in denial, I think there may be a part of denial that's healthy.


Calvin is my hero. He always has words of wisdom for any of life's difficult moments.

Regis and I have been regular morning shoppers at the HyVee so we have gotten to know a few of the folks who work there. The guys in the meat department are great. Regis was in a couple weeks ago and told them about my cancer when they asked about me. Yesterday, Scott expressed concern about my health and well-being. How sweet. I sent a note to the HyVee interweb presence so they would know we appreciate their very personal brand of customer service.

I met my friend, Joanne, for a glass of wine at Patrick's yesterday afternoon. We always have wonderful conversation and we enjoy the dark quiet. Except for the giant television and the loud drunks. Haha!

As we were leaving, Jerry told us to come down Friday to celebrate the Mayan New Year by buying really expensive drinks and putting them on a tab...just in case. Good one.

On to whatever day this is. Oh yeah, Wednesday.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I love denial! It helps us get through the crap of life! Go for it and enjoy. Besides there is nothing that a good drink can't cure.
Old neighbor and friend Deb
Jill said…
That little Calvin is a wise critter. Or character. I'd like to meet the guy (gender neutral noun) who accepts reality for what it is. Who'd even KNOW what real reality is?
mom said…
Can you change your photo for your blog. I need something a little cheerier in my life right now. George seems to be doing well even if he did not toss his cookies.
mom said…
Much prettier scene.
Teresa Saum said…
Just for you, Mom!

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff