top o' the morning

I went outside in my pajamas and slippers this morning to fetch a four-pack of Guinness out of the trunk just as the neighbors were getting in their car to go to church. It would have made a great picture.

In the last few days, I read the book Benediction by Kent Haruf. It was a nice change from the murder and mayhem I've been reading. He talks about the precious ordinary, which is probably a little bit like being spellbound by your own imperfect life. There's a chapter where three old women and a young girl go swimming in a cattle tank on a hot summer day. That chapter was worth the price of admission. Precious ordinary.


We celebrated Elliot's birthday last night with a Star Wars party. The kids wore costumes and carried blasters and blow-up light sabers. It was a party with a lot of noise but lots of fun. It's been a long winter of strep throat, flu, ear infections and snow storms so it was great fun to get together and laugh.

Uncle Reg put on a Chewbacca mask and went downstairs to scare the bejesus out of the kids. I'd say it worked!



I told Tiffany she was setting the bar kind of high for future parties with all the decorations, costumes, and cake. That's me...I was a minimalist mom. I made a dinosaur cake for Peter once, in the days before bakeries did things like this, and the dinosaur looked like a giant purple dog. He didn't care.

I'm putting corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot this morning so we have a nice Irish dinner after the parade. St. Peter's parade, which is legendary, starts and 3 o'clock and ends about 3:14. It's not a big time commitment and it's a hoot. Pretty much anybody, dressed in green or not, can join the parade.

Better get on with it, I'd say. I'm going to the kitchen to get started. I see a nap in my future, too.

Comments

Jill said…
Charlie would've loved a party like that when he was a little boy. He was crazy for Star Wars. The kids look adorable... and I'd say that Wookie mask would scare anyone!

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff