unexpected sweetness


Sometimes when I get blue and feel like wallowing in self-pity or at least crankiness, I remind myself to look around and appreciate the things that appear where I don't expect them.

That's serendipity, I guess. A happy accident or a pleasant surprise.

Richie brought me this absolutely gorgeous peony from her garden yesterday. It's the most beautiful shade of pink and it's huge. She also brought a bowl of pasta salad that I loved. I'm not usually a big fan of those but this one was light and flavorful without being oily. Yummy lunch. I'm going to call her for the recipe.


We went to the comedy show at the Treaty Site last night. There was not a big crowd (too many other things going on...) but we had a great time.

I remember a friend of mine telling me, years ago, not to be disappointed when support or encouragement or empathy don't come from the people you expect it to come from but rejoice when it comes from other unexpected places.

Last night, I saw a man I knew through my work at River Rock. A very nice man...but we saw each other only once a month or so when I would pick something up at his shop. He came over to me last night and asked how I was, said he didn't know about my breast cancer, but when he realized I wasn't coming in anymore, he asked around. He apologized for not knowing, wished me well, and was so kind and sweet it brought tears to my eyes.

I got up early this morning (to watch the storm) and had a long email from my friend, Karen, in New Jersey. It's almost like having coffee with her...I sit in my chair and sip coffee and read the stories of how she met her husband, the birthday celebration for her grandchildren, and her attempts (like mine) to get her cooking mojo back after a few major pains in the ass of life. Such serendipity to meet a friend like that through the comments on a blog.

It was a good day for a nap, being cold, dark, and gloomy outside. I went into the bedroom, turned on the ceiling fan and the white noise machine. I read for a while then fell into a deep and restful sleep. Something to be very grateful for...a delicious nap.

I must have had the Batman signal out yesterday because I heard from two brothers, my mom, and a friend. So nice to hear from them.

I'm going to get moving now that it's almost noon. I'm going to take a shower, do the dishes from breakfast, and then cook something. Maybe cookies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff