garden and stuff

Garden: August 2013

My garden has been a mess for about five years for several reasons, none of which matter now, but I was determined to do better this year. I had connected my cancer treatments with gardening, so came out of that raring to go. I bet we have hauled ten giant bags of crap out of there. All the hostas have been transplanted into shady spots and the things that need more sun have been moved to sunny corners. I'm so proud of it.


Ella and I went to the Govenaires Drum Corps Expo last night. It was a beautiful summer evening...pink and purple sky, almost full moon, fresh breeze, and popcorn. The music was great, too. The Govies put on a good show. Ella bought a mini-flag and was anxious to start twirling it when she got home, but I cautioned her about whacking her father in the head. I said that would not bode well for the future of her flag.


I am amazed that somebody can come up with a concept like Chasing Hollywood, then put it all together with music, movement, and color guard action. I must be an artistic thing that is beyond my comprehension. Like math.

It's been a good news/bad news kind of week. April got a job with the Mankato Schools, Peter got a great raise, but my friend Karen got news of the not-so-good fucking cancer variety in her pathology report after her hysterectomy. Bless her heart. Sometimes I wonder how people manage to put one foot in front of the other. Karen calls it slugging rats in the gutter and she's got some big ass rats to slug in her future. Sending light and love from Minnesota, Karen.

After scooping dirt all day yesterday and then sitting on a hard metal bench for almost three hours, I had a surprise when I stood up. Creak and groan! Holy crap. I was worried for a minute but all was well and I was able to walk out of the stadium normally.


This falls into the category of what-will-they-think-of-next? And WTF. It's called a pooch purse. Maybe movie stars think it's cool but you'd get laughed off the street in Minnesota (and maybe arrested) if you subjected your dog to this. The dog doesn't look too enthralled about being hauled around hanging from this woman's hinder. Thanks, Deb, for sending it. It was a good laugh.

We have a busy week with appointments, dinner dates, and my oncology follow-up appointments all day Thursday. Gus will go to the Paw for the day and we'll have a respite mid-day for lunch. It should be a good week.

Comments

grandma Saum said…
Too bad that pooch can't bite her in the rear end. It is awful what people do to animals. Greet Karen for me and tell her this Minnesota friend is also thinking of her.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff