flotsam, jetsam, lagan, and derelict


Those are nautical terms for specific kinds of debris in the ocean. The picture is not of debris from the ocean, but debris it is. I have been on a mission the past few months to rid my life of clutter. It started in the garden and commenced in the house about three weeks ago. I worked hard on this pile last week so it would be ready for the thrift store folks by Thursday. In case you are curious about the words:
Flotsam is floating wreckage of a ship or its cargo. Jetsam is part of a ship, its equipment, or its cargo that is purposefully cast overboard or jettisoned to lighten the load in time of distress and that sinks or is washed ashore. Lagan is cargo that is lying on the bottom of the ocean, sometimes marked by a buoy, which can be reclaimed. Derelict is cargo that is also on the bottom of the ocean, but which no one has any hope of reclaiming.
So, there you go. I see (online dictionary) the phrase flotsam and jetsam also means worthless encumbrances. That's what is in the boxes...encumbrances. Things I don't need. I am letting go of things not meant for me

Tuesday, October 15th will be the first anniversary of my mammogram last fall that started of all the cancer monkey business. It might seem like an odd anniversary to note, but it's more a celebration of the year being over. The yard and garden work, the cleaning and uncluttering, like my therapy, seem like part of that journey.

We were in the back yard today, raking and bagging and mowing. It felt good to be doing that...last fall I don't even think I looked out the windows into the back yard. We have a list of fall tasks to accomplish and we're right on track. We don't want to be obsessive list makers and task accomplishers, but we want to be better than last year.

I have been through every drawer and cupboard at least once in the last few months. There is more to do but I am happy with what I have done.

Speaking of obsessive. Our neighbor was out cutting his grass within thirty minutes of arriving home from his vacation. Then he washed his car. Take a deep breath, pal. You work too hard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff