a list of random and wonderful things


  • I had my annual physical this morning and all systems check out fine. I got three immunizations: pneumonia, shingles, and tetanus. I am grateful to have access to such good health care.
  • I woke up at 6 am and began the long-awaited task of cleaning out the refrigerator. I took everything out, cleaned the entire inside, washed all the shelves and gizmos, and restocked. It took about an hour so it made me wonder why I dread doing it so much.
  • We made steaks on the grill with mushrooms and onions. Also had some of our zebra tomatoes grilled. A delicious meal.
  • We bought groceries in Mankato. We're lucky to have access to such good food. We stopped at one of the big box pharmacies that sells everything now...even groceries. I think it's somewhat disingenuous of them to proclaim, "Be well!" when they sell frozen pizzas, chips, and mac and cheese. I don't like the idea of buying my food there...or at Menards for that matter. I like the idea of food being separated from drain cleaners and paint.
  • I subbed in a small engines class this afternoon. What I know about small engines you could put on the head of a pin and have room left over. The students were tickled that I did not know for sure what a piston was and thought the muffler was where you put the gas. I didn't regale them with all my stupid car stories. They would have lost all respect.
  • I changed the sheets on the bed last night and that has to be one of Woody's favorite things. He loves to snoop under the fresh sheets, lie on the pillow cases, and recline in splendor when I'm done. This blanket is one of his favorites, too. The only thing that will motivate him to move is if someone comes to the door. Then he has to come and see who it is.
  • I've been working on de-cluttering and organizing my house for two years but I am nearing the end of my enthusiasm for now. Tomorrow, I am going to finish up and put the last ten boxes on the curb. It does contribute to peace of mind to know that I can actually put things away in closets because they aren't filled with crap I don't need.

  • I finished Daniel Silva's The Confessor and started All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Both books have to do with World War II. The Confessor is a grand spy novel and it influenced me yesterday to imagine myself speeding home from Mankato in a red Fiat with a chiffon scarf and big sunglasses instead of in the gray Honda Accord. Spies in Rome don't drive Hondas, you know.

  • I've been on the road a lot this summer...more than is typical for me. We went to Canby last week and Gus came along. He is looking at me with his soulful eyes...such a sweet dog. Friday I am going to a writing retreat somewhere up north. I'm not sure where but you have to watch closely for deer the last 40 miles. The friend who is driving is not aware that the limits of my congenial passengerhood is 2.5 hours. If this limit is exceeded, I have been known to burst into tears or demand a stop at the DQ. I'll try very hard to behave.
Well, that all I have tonight. Tomorrow, I'll check in earlier!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff