2014: what I'm thankful for this year



  1. I am thankful for my little messy house, filled to the brim with food for Thanksgiving and so many cooking adventures in the past week: cranberry cake spiced with a Chinese Five Spice blend, pumpkin oatmeal cookies, cranberry whiskey tart, meatball tortellini soup, and kale salad.
  2. I am thankful for walks in the woods. After years of tramping down city sidewalks, we have discovered the trails through the woods around our town. So peaceful and pleasant. 
  3. I am thankful for opportunities to work. The Treaty Site which is not a dusty old museum but a vibrant and dynamic place to learn about where we live. The schools where I sub. My favorite places are the media centers in all schools and special ed classrooms.
  4. I am thankful for Livestrong at the YMCA. I realized as I talked to the reporter last night about my experiences, that I can't see a time when Livestrong won't be a part of my life. It was a powerful life force and those are enduring friendships. I am so glad I stumbled into it with Michele. Those dark and cold January night would not have happened had I been alone.
  5. I am thankful for my kitty Woodrow who sees a clean tablecloth as an invitation to recline on the table, stretched to his full length, looking like the king of something. I ask him to pretend when company comes, that he is not allowed on the tables. This morning, I caught him tip-toeing across the extra table with the dinner dishes and food. Don't tell anyone who plans to eat here.
  6. I am thankful for all of the things on my list of things to do: Write a letter to Rachel to thank her for the sweet note I got last week. Put the new knobs on the cabinets in the hallway. Make the ice candles for the patio. Take my necklace to Patty to be repaired. Write in my raven journal.
  7. I am thankful for the people in my family, which now includes not only my biological family, my family through marriage, my children and their families, my extended family of aunts, cousins, nieces and nephews and their circles, but also friends who are family, too.
  8. I am thankful for the health professionals who continue to take such good care of me. Dr. Cockerill, Judy Westphall, Dr. Nelson, Linda Welch, and the nurses...every one of them. I am lucky to be able to tell the doctor, "I trust your decision." 
  9. I am thankful for the books and papers in my life. I know, when I leave the house, there will be at least one book and one journal traveling with me. A guy never knows when the need to read of write will arise.
  10. I am thankful for the love of boldness. Strong spices like cinnamon and cloves, bright red glasses, loud laughter, a messy garden, fearless living even if I don't leave town.
  11. I am thankful for synchronicity: the simultaneous occurrence of events that appear significantly related but have no discernible causal connection. A new Facebook friends turns out to be the cousin of a classmate and fellow school bus rider from my youth. An old college friend turns out to know a former neighbor and comedian from Colorado. We brush up against each other for a reason. Read about six degrees of separation here.
Eleven seems like a good place to stop. Just because something didn't make the list, doesn't mean I am not thankful for it. I write a list of five things every day for which I am grateful and it's a great happiness exercise; I recommend it.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad I took the proverbial leap of faith on FB and spoke to you via Messenger. I hope to continue to read of your journey through the hills and the valleys, a much more interesting description than the 'highs' and the 'lows.' Happy Thanksgiving ~aka AnneMarie

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff