random solstice, christmas, holiday thoughts

I got out of bed at 7 am and opened the bedroom curtain to find it was PITCH dark outside. Not even a hint of light. About 7:30, it started to get a little lighter but not much. Whoa. Winter Solstice! Good thing I had a little celebration planned for the afternoon at exactly 5:03. It would have been nice to do this out in the sunshine but it was cold and gray and wet...so I didn't.



I set out these little things: a bunny, two crystals, three candles, a glass of tea, and a cookie. I played Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles and read a poem called Winter Grace. It was a lovely moment. Gus was very curious but it might have been the promise of a cookie and not the ancient ritual of the solstice.

Woody loves bags and boxes. If he is sound asleep in the bedroom and hears a box being opened, he tears into the living room to investigate. He likes most kinds of bags but especially the kind he can hide in completely.


I bought a new Santa hat today and then wore it while I finished shopping. The young girl at the store gave me a funny look when I asked her to remove the tag so I could wear it. It's a nice one with leopard trim. I think I'll wear it to the HyVee tomorrow.


I got a gift card for $15 from my volunteer employers at the NCHS, which I appreciated very much. I wanted to buy my favorite coffee so I went to the coop, filled a bag, then asked the fellow to weigh it to see how close I got. $14.99! Bingo!


I heard a woman in a restaurant today go on a rant about people saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. She said she is so offended that she turns and walks away. Really? I bet Jesus would approve of that attitude.

Time to go to bed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff