Guest blogger: My mom!





6/‎14/‎2015

My day today reminds me of the old song: Over the River and Through the Woods.   My neighbor called and wanted to know if I would like to go to church.  I eagerly said, "Yes".   You see I had not been anywhere for a week and I like to think I am a people person.

I walked over to Linda's home and she had her car parked on her lawn.  We took a little-used road going through the woods; it was drivable but just barely.  It was what I would call a low-maintenance road.  We went north, east, south and finally west to get to my church.   We had coffee after church and were home by 11:00 a.m.

You might ask why I could not drive myself and go to church on a city road.

A crew of men is working on the road in front of my home.  They are replacing water pipes, sewer pipes and storm sewers.  They are also going to redo the road with new curb and gutters. They would have moved my car, but it would have been a least a block away over a rough stretch of road. I told them I would be fine; thinking it would be a good time to get all those things done that I have put off until another day.

The first day I pulled out a lawn chair and thought I would spend a half hour watching the big cats work.  Wow!!  They were like a well-oiled machine.  One big cat would dig a deep trench, another would place the pipes and connect them together, another would cover up the trench.  Another machine would come along and pack things down.

Friends would call each day to see how I was doing; I had to admit I was fascinated by all of the action taking place in front of my home.  There were young men down in the trenches, who with a flick of their finger would tell the cat operator to move the huge claw over a fraction of an inch or two. I worried someone would get hurt, but they certainly know what they are doing.  I do not know when they planned their strategy as they work long, long hours.  Usually by 6:30 a.m. they wake me with their little bells; they do not call it a day until 8:30 at night.

Each day, I would pull my lawn chair out where I could have the best view of what the crew was doing on that particular day. They all have green tee shirts on and they told me if I needed anything at all just yell at a guy  with a green shirt and they would see all of my needs were taken care of.  I must say I have a new admiration for road construction people.  They are all very polite and helpful.

Needless to say I spent most of my week sitting in the sunshine watching the crew do their job.  I had my camera outdoors so took many pictures of the men, machines and the work  they were doing. People have asked me, "Didn't you get bored and did you get a lot of things done?”  I had to admit I was not bored and no, I did not get a lot done.  However, I did not think it was a waste of time at all. I learned a lot of new things which is what life is all about.  I learned there are very nice people in all walks of life. I learned there is a talent in running huge machines. I learned people watch out for each other. I learned every job is needed and the people who know how to do different jobs are all a very important part of our society.

My friends are watching out for me, just as the workers watch out for each other.  My friends call me several times a day. Linda brought me groceries and took me to church.  Betty and Gary brought over a wonderful coffee cake and stayed for a cup of coffee and chat.  Nadine walked over to return a book to the library. Paul said he would bring me whatever I would need.  Thanks to all of them.  I played games on my computer and read several books.  I had a wonderful week. Tomorrow I may make cookies and invite the construction men to enjoy them…and to thank them for a week of entertainment.

Epilogue
Sorry boys, no cookies today. 

I have spent the day watching them work about twenty five feet from my house.  They have a huge hole dug down about twenty feet. I watched as they cut down a forty year old maple tree in a matter of minutes. They are all very efficient and know exactly what they are supposed to be doing.  There are local plumbers, electricians and others to help with the placing of pipes.   They would first place the sewer pipe in the trench next a sheet of insulation then the smaller machine comes along and covers everything.  Today they had a short lunch break and the big Cat operator stepped out of the cab with a roll of paper towels and a can of spray cleaner.  I watched as he lovingly cleaned the arm (or whatever it is called) of his big Cat.  You could tell by his actions he loved his machine.

It is a huge mess right now, but in about a week I should have a new road going by my home with new water and sewer pipes.   I have enjoyed watching the progress each day and knowing they are very careful about doing their job correctly and carefully.  

Cookies?  Maybe tomorrow.


 Shirley Saum

Comments

Jill said…
This is a delight to read, Teresa! Your mom is a great storyteller. She saw the human details of what most of us would view as mundane, routine work. Last summer Westy and Miles watched construction workers rebuild the road that passes along one side of their house. Like your mom, Westy didn't miss a day and he loved every minute. The only difference I can think of in their fascination with the road work is that Westy wore a (plastic) hard hat and fluorescent vest!
Teresa Saum said…
I remember that, Jill! Mom, you would look good in a yellow hard hat and fluorescent vest!
mom said…
I should ask if they would have an extra hard hat.
Jan Jeremiason said…
Shirley, You write like you speak, with wit and wisdom! It is refreshing to hear the positive when you are living in noise, muck, and almost solitary confinement. Instead of complaining, you are looking and learning, great advice for us all.

Thanks for sharing, Jan

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff