paddle boarding

We had our wonderful family Christmas in July party on Sunday. The setting was beautiful...a huge grassy lawn and a sandy beach in a sheltered bay. We had the use of a big pontoon but we didn't use it much because the beach and swimming was so much fun. They had two paddle boards and Ella and I watched Youtube videos to learn how to do it. We were convinced we could do it.

But after watching several in our party take the plunge, we played it safe and sat while we paddled. We figured it was a lot harder than it looked.




Yesterday we went out again to make another attempt. At least we wouldn't be on film if we muffed it. Ella got up first and I followed soon after. Ta da! We were able to paddle around, get up and sit down pretty well. I got sassy and tried to go around the raft once, made the turn too sharp and went off the back. I only lost my toe ring...not hat, glasses, or earrings. I had to swim like crazy to catch the board and then had to hoist myself up on it again. No easy task. I think I should write a thank you note to Gunner, my trainer, for the bicep work!

Ella was a champ. She paddled herself around and when I got tired, she pushed me on the paddle board out to the raft and back many times. Sunday she was creeped out by the weeds but she overcame her fears and was swimming like a fish yesterday.

If the weather clears up, we're going out again today.

I think one of the reasons I have been slacking on my blog is that I spend too much time on Facebook. Since I started two skirmishes this week, both related to gun control and one tangentially related to abortion, I think it's time to take a break. Especially with the upcoming election season. I don't need to be made crazier by political BS.


I've told this story many times over the years, but I basically quit watching the news on television after the OJ Simpson white Suburban slow chase down the freeway in California. I decided then that television news had nothing but a nasty impact on my mental health. Once in a while I miss something important, but most of the time it doesn't matter. I only want to know if the bad guys are coming down my street.

I don't need to know that people who use that very controversial flag as their profile picture and pick fights with me on Facebook over gun control, actually live in this community. He made hateful remarks and told me to leave the country. Really? I don't need this in my life. I went through and unfollowed everything that is remotely educational or political. I now follow the Audubon Society and the League of Minnesota Poets. Not much controversy there.

I found this article to be really helpful in my thinking about how morons think. Any goofy thing they think, they make into an arguable point...it's their opinion and therefore is valid. Nope. It's not your opinion, you are just wrong.

I unquit my job at Lone Star. When I went in to work on Saturday night, Abby asked me if, after this weekend, I would be willing to work Friday lunches only. I said yes, because I really didn't want to quit. I love working there but nights are a different sort of cat. People can be a little moody and unpredictable. I like a calm and less stimulating environment.

I'm also considering subbing a day or two here and there. Maybe in Cleveland or Nicollet. I only said considering.

Well, I have piddled away several hours shopping for toe rings, earrings, compression sleeves, and other random junk. Time to get vertical.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff