food and stress

Since my bariatric surgery and my cancer treatment, my taste in food has changed. You would expect it from the former but maybe not the latter.

I have an aversion to chemicals. I bought a ham sandwich at a grocery store recently. As I ate the first half, I glanced at the ingredient label. The cat got the second half and then I felt bad for subjecting him to that chemical shitstorm.

I have a hard time eating in restaurants. I like my portions much smaller than what they serve and I get tired of left-overs. And I hate to throw food away. Sometimes I order something and by the time it comes, I've lost interest. I am not wasting away so I must be getting enough food. (Since my cancer treatments ended, I have maintained my weight within five pounds.)

I can't eat grocery store lettuce anymore.I check it over carefully for a sell-by date but if I find one slimy leaf, that's it. I'm investing in a tiny greenhouse so I can grow greens indoors all winter.

If I could afford to buy locally grown meat, I would do it. As it is, I try not to think about where my meat came from. I am not interested in being a vegetarian as I like a cheeseburger or a steak from time to time.

The food I eat has to taste really good. I'm not saying that I never eat frozen pizza or fast food. It's just not my first choice and I usually regret it. Not for any moral reason...I just don't appreciate the taste so much.

I bought a book on nutrition but the dude's first advice was to give up meat. Ah, no can do.

I think I might like a Japanese diet...smaller portions, not so much meat, strong flavors.

Tonight I had a grilled cheese sandwich and two of Jerry Harty's pickles (I like his pickles but not always his politics...haha!). It was yummy.

I took a stress test on Facebook. Most of my friends were scoring in the 50% range with a few in the 80-90% range. I scored 15%. This does not mean that I have some sort of Zen presence. It means I am oblivious. I don't watch the news. I don't read the bad news in the paper. I am a happier person because of it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff