shootings

We have now had more mass shootings in 2015 than the year has days. More than one per day where innocent people were killed by American terrorists.

Last year, after the massacre at Sandy Hook, we did nothing. Small children in an elementary school and their teachers were slaughtered by assault rifles and we did nothing but talk about arming teachers and maybe planting ex-military personnel in schools. Both are really bad ideas.

It makes me so sad that people are continuing to be killed by assault rifles and men in masks. We are told to be afraid of refugees, but these are not refugees, these are mostly white men with some sort of vengeance complex, or at least the ability to buy guns that will kill multiple people in seconds. And we think this is a 2nd amendment right? Where is my right to be whole at the end of the day?

What I don't get is that people I know, intelligent people, don't read the research or understand the statistics. More people are killed in the US because we have more guns per capita than any other nation in the world. If your country has fewer guns, fewer people are killed. It's simple and you can look it up.

The answer is not arming more people. What the hell. I was a teacher and I can tell you that, even trained in "permit to carry", I would not have been a good protector. I don't know many teachers who would be. It's just not our way. Good people do not carry guns to protect themselves in my world.

I told Regis tonight that pretty soon there will be enough victims of mass shootings that we will rise up and defeat Congress and the NRA. He said no, sadly not. He decided last year when small children and their teachers were murdered in an elementary school and we did nothing, that it was hopeless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff