Weekend before Thanksgiving



Well, we have a 16-pound naked version of this guy in the refrigerator. Tiffany was here for the weekend so we made the foray to the HyVee in Mankato for the pickup load of groceries it will take to feed 15 people. She had the list (organized by aisle) and I was in charge of the cart. We made an efficient team. We couldn't find chestnuts...they kept directing us to water chestnuts instead...but otherwise it was a successful trip.

We've been watching Food TV all week. I have Alton Brown's turkey recipe, Emerill's sausage and corn bread stuffing recipe, Rachel Ray's squash recipe, and Sandra Lee's onion tartlet recipe. They make it all look so easy. I asked guests to bring pies which was hard for me being the food control freak that I am. That's my least favorite part of the meal anyway so I guess I don't have to worry. I bought lefse this year because there's no time to make it. I didn't buy herring or pickled beets because I'm the only one who eats them, but I did concede to the damn green bean casserole.

So, here's the menu:
Turkey w/ cornbread and sausage dressing and spicy cranberry sauce
Swedish meatballs
Mashed Yukon gold potatoes and gravy
Green bean casserole
Potato rolls
Potato lefse
Butternut squash
Fresh cranberry relish w/ oranges and apples
Chocolate and pumpkin truffles

Joan's bringing a salad, too, so we won't only be eating protein and carbs. Better get into the kitchen. Lots to do before Thursday!
Teresa

Oh boy! Talk about trouble a brewin. First off there is no mention of my tartlets on the menu. Oh the humanities. I can understand though as my contribution will be a side show. The thing that I am actually worried about is the lack of conventional dressing. That is one of the only items that I can eat and it seems to be missing from the menu. So it looks as though I will be at the HyVee on Wednesday buying prepackaged bread stuffing. Then I will need to sneak it into the house and somehow warm it up without Teresa catching wind of it. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff