One thing I hate about spring

I'm sitting on the couch in my robe at 7:15 and the sun is coming straight in a west window, illuminating the water spots and dog nose prints on the glass. How can a guy relax with that kind of stuff going on? At least in the winter when it's nearly dark as you walk in the door after work, you don't have to contend with reminders of your slovenly ways.

We went to the HyVee after work to buy groceries. Kathy and Harvey are having a party Saturday to celebrate Betty's birthday and Regis' new job. We're going to sit on the deck and grill appetizers and desserts. I'm making grilled crab cakes with mango salsa, asparagus with balsamic vinegar, bruschetta, and grilled slices of sweet potato. The dessert menu is just chunks of fresh pineapple and banana on skewers, maybe with a chocolate ganache. Lots of finger foods.

Regis and I stopped at the Mongolian Grill in Mankato after our shopping trip. You choose a bowl, pile in fresh vegetables and meat, noodles, and spicy sauces. They cook it on a huge and very hot grill, stirring with big sticks. One of the cooks would flip the bowl behind his back and over his shoulder. Great show and very good food but not much for ambience. Since you pay by the size of the bowl you choose, some pigs would really pile it on. One woman was applying the crusher move to her bowl in order to squeeze more in. How rude. You can pay two bucks more and get all you can eat but apparently that's too much work for those folks.

Good news on the dog front. Another complete day with no escapes. No mess to clean up on the kitchen floor either which can only mean that somebody snuck in here before we got home and cleaned it up. I would never suspect our dogs of elegant behavior. My brother Dave's big old St. Bernard, Onslow, died yesterday. We love our dogs and Onslow was around for 11 years so everyone is very sad. He's in dog heaven now with the other Saum dogs: Smokey, Cindy, Snoopy, Molly, Honey, and Pepper.

I'm going to watch Grey's Anatomy tonight but I think I'll give it up after this year. I'm starting to feel a little manipulated by it and who needs to cry over a stupid television soap opera? Regis and I have debated about disconnecting the tv altogether. We don't watch it very much and it's almost more irritating than entertaining when we do watch. The company that provides all our electronic services gives us a deal if we have three, internet, cable and telephone, so we'd save about five bucks if we quit one of them. I guess we get five bucks worth of entertainment out of it. We used to watch COPS once in a while and I get a kick out of Miami Ink. Can you get any more entertainment than that?

I'm reading a book called The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle. This is from one review: This is a profound and tragic tale, one that exposes not only a failed American Dream, but a failing America. Uffffff daaaaaaa. I might need to wait until summer to finish it as it sounds dark and depressing. I need a little more uplifting reading material....like This Goat's Life, a blog about a goat farm in Washington state. Check it out. The latest story is a hoot and I can also recommend Rocky Road.

I guess I've rambled on long enough and linked my writing to every little stream of consciousness thought I've had tonight. Fascinating stuff, my boring life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff