Danger! Danger!

We went to see Sweeney Todd this afternoon. I read a review in Rolling Stone that made it sound so good even though it's violent. I knew it had been a Broadway play so how bad could it be, right? Let me tell you how bad and violent it could be. I spent the last hour with my head completely under my coat and even at that, thought I would have to walk out. The reviews said the violence was "stylistic". My ass. It was graphic and gratuitous and way more than a person needs to see. There was not one redeeming thing about this movie....not Johnny Depp, not the music, not the sets, nothing. Call me unsophisticated but it was horrible.

Comments

Jill said…
A person would hope that the stylistic stuff would outweigh the body count and blood loss. I've read reviews similar to the one you read, and had a nagging feeling about my lack of sophistication as it relates to graphic mayhem. You've confirmed it for me, and I'm not going to see it. The Broadway version won Tony awards, as I recall. I thought it was some sweet love story set in NY in the 1890's. You know, the kind where narrow-waisted young women twirl parasols and flirt with subtly. Wrong!!

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff