Hubris

I think the Greeks called it hubris, the fatal flaw of pride. I complained about the temperature yesterday and it promptly plummeted to 3 degrees today with a wind chill of 21 below. Well, maybe it's not a classic case of hubris but it's close. No, the more I think about it, it isn't hubris at all. Maybe irony. If I change it, I have to think of a new title for the post and I don't want to do that.

Weekends are just not long enough. We had friends over for Reuben sandwiches and beer last night. We aren't much for late nights so they were gone by 8:30 and we were in bed by 9:30. We went to the HyVee this morning with the intention of going before the snow and wind started. We would have gone to the Coop instead but I wanted scallops and they don't always have them. We got in the door and I was putting away the canned things when the wind started. I was glad to be home.

We fiddled away the afternoon...Regis shopping for a Valentine's Day flat-screen monitor and me looking at recipes. I told my friend Joanne I would put together a menu for her son's graduation party in June. There are lots of things to consider...room in the refrigerator, cooking time, out-of-town relatives, teen-agers, etc. We're avoiding ham sandwiches, taco bars, and pasta salad as passe.

For dinner, we're making Alton Brown's Who Loves Ya Baby-Back Ribs and Emerill's Twice Baked Potato Casserole. Don't even read the recipe for the potatoes if you have any heart disease. We're waiting for the casserole to finish so we can brown the ribs under the broiler. It smells delicious.

Regis has the movie Blade Runner and I said I'd sit in the living room for the showing but it doesn't sound like my kind of movie. Replicants? What the.... I checked it in Google and here's the deal:
A replicant is a genetically engineered creature composed entirely of organic substance. Animal replicants (animoids) were developed first for use as pets and beasts of burden after most real animals became extinct. Later, humanoid replicants were created for military purposes and for the exploration and colonization of space.

Comments

Jill said…
I admire you for using the word "hubris", Teresa. At one time I thought it meant "garbage". I guess there's a difference between trash and having a too-large ego.
Anonymous said…
I admire you for using "humanoid replicants" in a blog post. Good work. But humanoid replicants are with us now, not just in the future. They are non-tenure track employees who teach at colleges for just below the legal courseload requirement to earn fringe benefits. They become hostile and bitter and eventually go apeshit.

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff