Things

Things
by Fleur Adcock, from Selected Poems. © Oxford University Press, 1986.

There are worse things than having behaved foolishly in public.
There are worse things than these miniature betrayals,
committed or endured or suspected; there are worse things
than not being able to sleep for thinking about them.
It is 5 a.m. All the worse things come stalking in
and stand icily about the bed looking worse and worse
and worse.


What a great poem if you wake up at 5 surrounded by the worse things.

Regis and I made a bracelet last night and it's really pretty. I tried to get him to take a picture of it but he was engrossed in something else by that time so it will have to wait. It's a Valentine's Day bracelet with lots of red and pink buttons, some of my Grandma's buttons, and silver hearts. I made the button trinkets and he attached them to the bracelet with tiny pliers.

Peter bought a car. At least he did if the insurance isn't too painful. His Grandma took him to the local car dealership in Canby, helped him get a loan at the credit union, and helped him with the insurance. Bless her heart. Now he can come home when he wants and even if he doesn't go anywhere, he knows he can. It's a 2001 Chevy Impala with 65,000 miles on it...probably not the kind of cool car a kid would like but a reliable car that will get him through the next few years.

When I gave Regis the car report, I said it had 65 hundred miles on it and he was amazed. So amazed that my brain said something was wrong...mental calculator...6-5-comma-0-0-0...oh that's 65 THOUSAND miles not 65 hundred. It's my math thing.

We made marinaded tofu last night. As much as I like the flavor of the marinade, tofu just doesn't seem like food to me. It seems like faux food. Even with the lo mein, it wasn't a satisfying meal. Next time, I'll let Regis eat the tofu and I'll drink the marinade.

It's 10 degrees here this morning. 10 degrees. It's almost the middle of February so can't we catch a break? I should be glad we didn't get the 20 inches of snow and whiteout conditions they had in Wisconsin. This has been a long winter already, hasn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff