Thanksgiving preparation




A few random pictures with no explanation needed.

I took a personal day yesterday to prepare for Thanksgiving. Regis and I bought our groceries at 6 a.m. in Mankato. Our friends at the HyVee were preparing for the onslaught of customers. With Monday's icy road conditions, people were not out shopping and all we've heard since Monday night is the icy conditions anticipated for today. That leaves yesterday. Cars were streaming into the parking lot by the time we left at 7:30. It was gonna be ugly.

I went to the Pulse to exercise, then spent the rest of the day puttering in the house and cooking. The cooking part is what I love. These are the things we did yesterday:

  • Made a stop at the Co-op for nutmeg and ginger
  • Picked up flowers at the greenhouse
  • Made cornbread for the Andouille sausage stuffing
  • Baked my Italian country bread
  • Made spicy cranberry sauce with jalapenos and apples
  • Got the ingredients ready for the onion tartlets
  • Caramelized onions for the tartlets and the cranberry compote
  • Started thawing the turkey in a cold water bath
  • Set the table
  • Did dishes...probably ten times
Tonight, we make three pies, brine the turkey, cut up vegetables for the dressings (thank God for the food processor), make the cranberry and apple chutney. I might cut up the vegetables for roasting, too.

I dread the weather conditions. Dread. Dread. Dread. I'll just be traveling around town but all of our kids will be on the roads to school and work and it can drive a guy crazy with worry. No help, I know. But crazy just the same.

So, let's get safely through this day, then on with the show.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff