happiness

Happiness
by Carl Sandburg


I asked the professors who teach the meaning of life to tell
     me what is happiness.
And I went to famous executives who boss the work of
     thousands of men.
They all shook their heads and gave me a smile as though
     I was trying to fool with them
And then one Sunday afternoon I wandered out along
     the Desplaines river
And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees with
     their women and children and a keg of beer and an
     accordion.



We had a little party last night and while we didn't have an accordion, we had some good music and a little keg of nut brown ale, thanks to Tom. It was a good time. Regis made two racks of ribs that got rave reviews. The only complaint is that there weren't enough of them. 

It's very cold out this morning (windchill -26) and I can't quite get up the gumption to go work out at the Pulse. Maybe I'll use the treadmill in the basement later instead.

I hear Regis stirring.

He woke up earlier and told me he had a dream that he was traveling to Philadelphia and the security was tight on the airlines, of course. The last thing they did was ask him a security question: Who is your favorite Simpson? I'm not sure that would keep terrorists off airplanes, but you never know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff