red wig

Regis and I went to Patrick's for a late lunch/early dinner yesterday and I wore the red wig. We called it releasing the wig into the wild since it's never been seen live in public before. Pictures, yes. Live, no. When we walked in, Sarah was behind the bar and she ducked behind the beer taps and giggled. Leila thought Regis was with a strange woman. Well, he was, but it was me.


I know this seems like crazy behavior to some people. It probably seems like narcissism or exhibitionism but it's been a very important part of my weight loss transformation. I've been writing a lot about this on my support group message board. I have encouraged others to dress up and have their picture taken as a tool for changing their self-image. Many of my online friends, some of them years post-surgery and thin, continue to see themselves as obese. How can that be?

Regis believes that unless you learn to see yourself in a new way, the changes won't last. It's sad to think that people go through surgery, experience radical changes in their lives, but their heads still think of them in the same old way.

So, to that end, I have a new wardrobe, a couple of wigs, lots of rhinestone jewelry, and high-heeled boots. Regis has taken tons of pictures of me from every angle and in every possible costume combination and I study them to see if I can believe that person in the picture is me. It's not an easy process but it's been fun.

I'll try not to lose perspective but once you wear a long, curly, red wig to the bar on Saturday afternoon, there's no telling what could go on next.

We're expecting 6-10 inches of snow tonight. Lovely. The stuff we have on the ground is getting kind of dirty and pathetic looking so I guess it's time to freshen it up.

We bought a blue ray player so we can stream movies from Netflix. At least I think that's the purpose of it. Technology is going quickly past my ability to understand it. I remember when my dad refused to learn to use a digital clock radio. That's where I'm headed.

Have a story worthy Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff