frost on the grass and stars in the sky

Regis told me to go into the backyard when I woke up at 5 am. The stars were so pretty and so clear, with puffy clouds suspended between earth and...wherever. The grass was crunchy so apparently, fall is here, unofficially.

It's 6:10 and dark as night outside. One thing I don't appreciate about fall...shorter days. I know what's coming. I dread the days when the sun goes down before 5 o'clock and doesn't come up again until almost 8 o'clock.

I had to get up and put a sweater on last night. I have not dug out the heated mattress pad yet as it seems to early. But right now, I'm layered in t-shirt, sweater, sweatshirt, leggings, sox, and slippers. Ah, winter can come.

I finished a book last night called The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman. It was hard to put down and I read it in just a couple of days.

I'm fascinated by the book reviews on Amazon and B&N. Some people read a book and then spend a LOT of time writing summaries and their opinions. You can't put too much stock in them because even books I thought sucked something fierce had fans on Amazon. Larry McMurtry's Berrybender Sage trilogy, for one. Worst book ever. I didn't get past book one and I would take that to work and read the dumb sentences aloud at the lunch table for entertainment. Sorry if I am insulting Larry, but if you write a book that bad, you deserve to take a few on the chin. Even those books got lots of 5 star reviews. What the...

I didn't write this review, but I wish I had:
This silly book could not possibly have been written by the genius of Lonesome Dove, so Larry McMurtry must be dead or missing in the wilderness, perhaps stuffed inside some frozen dead buffalo on the prairie in a blizzard , trapped by the frozen hide. Or hiding, maybe. I read the first book, hoping it would Start at some point and Go somewhere, but it never did. This is the silliest, dumbest, most surreal book purporting to be about something actual, that I've ever read and contains some of the most annoying, egregious, and insulting characters ever created. This book must be a spoof on spoofs of the J. F. Cooper genre, is all I can conclude. I will not bother reading the rest of this "series," it is irredeemable! Mr. Larry McMurtry must be found---No Author Left Behind! (Jeffrey A. Friedberg on Amazon.com)
I know, I know. I'm losing the point.

I'm also continuing to be a bit obsessive about crossword puzzles. I didn't finish last Sunday's  which I appreciate. I work until I'm stuck then he takes it for the evening. Sometimes I put in words, like ideate, and he asks me if it's a real word. To tell the truth, I'm not sure but it fit. Turns out it is a word. I have some weird mental rules about when it's ok to check google for an answer.

We've been having internet issues which will drive you insane. Regis has been to Mediacom once, has been on the phone several times to tech support, we bought a new router and we still have what he calls drop-offs. Internet is like phones used to be...you just expect that it will work and when it doesn't, it's frustrating.

Yesterday, we all got haircuts. Gus went down to Terry by 7:30 and was home bathed and groomed and smelling sweet by noon. Regis and I went to Nate's at 10 where we were duly entertained by Nate and Don. Best entertainment deal in town. We had a latte at River Rock, picked up the dog, and went home. Retirement is good.

It's not that I don't work. I work more some days than others but I keep busy between River Rock, the new place, doing some consulting, and filling in at the Pulse. I am not a complete sloth, is my point.

I have taken on another social media client (restaurant in Mankato) which has been fun. It's a team effort with Regis taking pictures and me doing the writing and posting. Notice how I always choose places with good coffee, food, wine, and flowers? I would never take on an auto repair client, for example, because I'd have to hang out there sniffing bad fumes and eating out of vending machines.

I've rambled enough. If you got this far, I hope you stopped in the middle and went out to look at the stars!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

festival of winter fun

being thankful

dreams and sucking out the bad stuff